Duke vs. Cornell
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 • 7:02 p.m.
Play-by-Play: Tom Hart
Analyst: Doris Burke
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
Sirius – 134; XM – 193
The Opening Tip
- Duke is 9-0 on the year and looking to open the season with 10 straight wins for the 14th time under Mike Krzyzewski.
- The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the past 16 seasons.
- Duke has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll 123 weeks overall, including 105 weeks under Coach K.
- Duke is 207-31 all-time when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll. Krzyzewski is second in NCAA history with 183 wins and 209 games at the helm of the top-ranked team in the AP Poll.
- The Blue Devils are seeking the 40th 10-game win streak in program history. Coach K-led teams have won 10 or more consecutive games in a season 25 times at Duke.
- Mason Plumlee is the only player in the NCAA averaging over 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game. He is tied for 38th in scoring (19.2 ppg.) and ranks sixth in rebounds (11.3 rpg.).
The Last Time Out
- Duke posted a 90-67 win over previously undefeated Temple on Saturday, Dec. 8.
- Senior Seth Curry scored a game-high 23 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field. He also knocked down 5-of-9 three-point attempts and made all four free throws.
- Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly each registered double-doubles against the Owls. Plumlee finished with 16 points and 14 rebounds, while Kelly added 14 points and 10 boards.
- Quinn Cook continued his steady play at the point with 14 points, four rebounds, four assists and three steals. He was 3-of-4 from three-point range, as Duke went 12-of-20 as a team from deep in the contest.
- Duke recorded 19 assists with just six turnovers in the win. Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon had a season-high seven assists with no turnovers.
Duke-Cornell Series History
- Duke and Cornell have met four previous times with the first meeting between the two schools coming on Nov. 30,1974.
- The Blue Devils lead the all-time series, 4-0, including a 3-0 mark under Mike Krzyzewski. All four games in the series have been played at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- Duke has won three of the four games in the series by 25 or more points. The Blue Devils have a +28.3 margin of victory in the series.
- Duke won the last meeting, 81-67, on Jan. 6, 2008 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Duke vs. the Ivy League
- Duke is 50-9 all-time against Ivy League teams.
- Mike Krzyzewski is 23-1 at Duke against the Ivy League.
- Duke and Coach K have won 23 consecutive games against Ivy League opponents dating back to a 72-55 decision against Princeton on Dec. 12, 1981.
- Duke, ranked No. 1 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 100 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007. Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (209 entering Wednesday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
- Duke has been ranked No. 1 in either the AP or Coaches Polls in 18 of the past 28 seasons.The Blue Devils are playing their 186th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 155-30 in that span.
- Duke has won an NCAA-best 98 straight non-conference home games. The last home loss against a non-conference opponent for the Blue Devils was Feb. 26, 2000 against St. John’s, 83-82.
- The Blue Devils have won 45 of their last 50 non-conference contests. Duke is 77-9 in non-league games since the start of the 2008-09 season.
- Duke has won 17 straight games in the month of December with 13 of the victories coming by 20 or more points.
- Duke’s starting lineup has accounted for 87.8 percent of the team’s total scoring this season with 632 of Duke’s 720 points through eight games. The starters have accounted for 38 of Duke’s 40 double-figures scoring games on the year.
- Quinn Cook is averaging 11.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game since joining the starting lineup seven games ago. He has four double-figure scoring games and five games with five or more assists in that span.
- Ryan Kelly is averaging 15.3 points and 5.5 rebounds over the last four games. He is also 6-of-12 from three-point range and 15-of-18 from the free throw line during that stretch.
- Mason Plumlee has scored 16 or more points in all nine games this season and ranks second in the ACC in scoring (19.1 ppg.). He also leads the league in rebounding (11.3 rpg.). Plumlee is attempting to become just the third player in ACC history (joining Ralph Sampson and Tim Duncan) to average 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
- Duke is averaging 89.0 points per game, while shooting 50.0 percent from the field in the month of December. The Blue Devils have assisted on 42 of their 63 field goals this month.