Duke vs. Elon
Thursday, December 20, 2012 • 7:02 p.m.
Play-by-Play: Tom Hart
Analyst: Jay Williams
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
Sirius – 94; XM – 190
The Opening Tip
- Duke is 10-0 on the year and looking to open the season with 11 straight wins for the ninth time under Mike Krzyzewski.
- The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the past 16 seasons.
- Duke has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll 123 weeks overall, including 105 weeks under Coach K.
- Duke is 208-31 all-time when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll. Krzyzewski is second in NCAA history with 184 wins and 210 games at the helm of the top-ranked team in the AP Poll.
- The Blue Devils are in the midst of the 40th 10-game win streak in program history. Coach K-led teams have won 10 or more consecutive games in a season 26 times at Duke.
- Seth Curry has scored 20 points in consecutive games and is shooting 52.3 percent (11-of-21) from three-point range during that span.
The Last Time Out
- Led by a 20-point scoring effort from Seth Curry and a 12-assist outing from Quinn Cook, Duke topped Cornell 88-47 in Cameron Indoor Stadium Wednesday night.
- The Blue Devils scored 23 consecutive points against the Big Red, marking the second longest run of the season and tying for the fourth longest run in school history.
- Duke forced 26 Cornell turnovers and gave up only eight assists. Cornell did not have a single assist in the second half.
- Curry, Mason Plumlee (18 points) and Rasheed Sulaimon (16) all scored in double figures. Plumlee was a perfect 8-of-8 from the field with nine rebounds and three blocks, while Sulaimon finished 6-of-10 shooting with three steals.
- The Duke bench contributed 21 points, including eight from Amile Jefferson and seven from Alex Murphy.
Duke-Elon Series History
- Duke and Elon have met 19 times with Duke holding a 14-5 advantage in the series. The teams last met on Dec. 20, 2010 with the Blue Devils posting a 98-72 win in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- The 2010-11 season meeting was the only time Duke and Elon have played during the Coach K era. Prior to the last meeting, the teams had not faced each other since Jan. 2, 1936.
- The Elon series is one of the oldest in the history of Duke basketball, beginning on Dec. 13, 1911 which was Duke’s seventh season of basketball.
Duke vs. the Southern Conference
- Duke is 144-24 all-time against teams currently in the Southern Conference.
- Mike Krzyzewski is 49-2 at Duke against the Southern Conference.
- After losing his first two games against SoCon schools at Duke during the 1981-82 season, Coach K has defeated 49 consecutive SoCon opponents.
- Duke, ranked No. 1 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 100 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
- Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (210 entering Thursday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
- Duke has been ranked No. 1 in either the AP or Coaches Polls in 18 of the past 28 seasons.
- The Blue Devils are playing their 187th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 156-30 in that span.
- Duke has won an NCAA-best 99 straight non-conference home games. The last home loss against a non-conference opponent for the Blue Devils was Feb. 26, 2000 against St. John’s, 83-82.
- The Blue Devils have won 46 of their last 51 non-conference contests. Duke is 78-9 in non-league games since the start of the 2008-09 season.
- Duke has won 18 straight games in the month of December with 14 of the victories coming by 20 or more points.
- Duke’s starting lineup has accounted for 86.5 percent of the team’s total scoring this season with 699 of Duke’s 808 points through nine games. The starters have accounted for 39 of Duke’s 41 double-figure scoring games on the year.
- Mason Plumlee has scored 16 or more points in all 10 games this season and ranks second in the ACC in scoring (19.1 ppg.). He also leads the league in rebounding (11.1 rpg.). Plumlee is attempting to become just the third player in ACC history (joining Ralph Sampson and Tim Duncan) to average 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
- Quinn Cook has 22 assists and just four turnovers in his last three games while averaging 9.3 points per game during that span. Cook is shooting .538 (7-of-13) from three-point range during that streak.
- Point guard Tyler Thornton has not committed a turnover in his last 41:43 of play. He has eight assists during that span.
- Duke has scored at least 40 points in seven straight halves and in 12 of 20 halves this season.
- Duke is averaging 88.7 points per game, while shooting 52.2 percent from the field in the month of December.