- 2014-15 ACC Basketball Preview: Notre Dame Fighting IrishPosted 1 day ago
- Juwan Thompson and Cooper Helfet making an impact in the NFLPosted 2 days ago
- 2014-15 ACC Basketball Preview: N.C. State WolfpackPosted 2 days ago
- Duke Basketball: Don’t Forget About Matt JonesPosted 3 days ago
- 2015 Recruit Josh Sharma Commits to StanfordPosted 3 days ago
- Top Durham Restaurants for Duke FansPosted 3 days ago
Duke vs Maryland Pregame Notes
No. 1 Duke (16-2, 3-2) vs. Maryland (15-4, 3-3)
Saturday, January 26, 2013 • 1:00 p.m. • CBS
Durham, N.C. • Cameron Indoor Stadium (9,314)
Play-by-Play: Ian Eagle
Analyst: Clark Kellogg
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
Sirius/XM – 91
The Opening Tip
- Duke is 16-2 on the year after suffering its second road loss of the season, 90-63 at No. 25 Miami. Duke has won at least 16 of its first 18 games 18 times under Coach K.
- The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked in the AP Top 10 for 105 consecutive weeks and has been ranked No. 1 five times this season.
- The Blue Devils are 10-0 in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season.
- Duke is one of only two two teams in the country ranked in the top five in the AP and Coaches polls, the NCAA RPI and SOS rankings.
- Coach K absorbed 18 losses by at least 15 points in his first three seasons at Duke. In the 30 seasons since, Duke has suffered 21 setbacks by 15 or more points. The Blue Devils are 12-3 in games following a loss by 15 or more points in that span (five losses ended Duke’s season).
The Last Time Out
- No. 25 Miami shot 56.9 percent from the floor and 47.4 percent from three-point range on the way to a 90-63 upset of No. 1 Duke in BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla.
- Miami finished with two 20-point scorers and four double-figure scorers as the Hurricanes hit nine three-pointers and became the first team to score 90 points against Duke since St. John’s on Jan. 30, 2011 (L, 93-78).
- Mason Plumlee recorded his ACC-leading 12th double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds, while Rasheed Sulaimon led the team with 16 points. Amile Jefferson and Alex Murphy also scored in double figures with 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- Miami carded eight blocks for the most by a Duke opponent this season.
- The loss marked only the sixth time in the last 10 seasons that Duke has lost a game by more than 15 points.
- Duke, ranked No. 1 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 105 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
- Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (217 entering Saturday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
- Duke is playing its 195th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 162-32 in that span.
- Under Coach K, Duke is 401-163 (.711) against teams currently in the ACC.
- Duke and Kansas are the only two teams ranked among the top five in the Associated Press Poll (No. 1), Coaches Poll (No. 1), NCAA RPI (No. 1) and Strength of Schedule index (No. 2).
- Since the 1988-89 season, Duke has lost just 19 games by 15 points or more. In games following those losses, Duke is 11-1 with seven wins by 20 points or more (excludes season-ending losses).
- Duke has lost back-to-back games just once since the 2009-10 season. Duke’s record following a loss during that span is 15-1.
- Duke leads the ACC in three-point percentage (.405) and three-point field goals per game (7.6 3pg.). The .405 three-point field goal percentage would rank as third-best in school history.
- Mason Plumlee logged double-doubles in both meetings against Maryland last season. Plumlee averaged 19.5 points, 11.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.0 blocks per game against the Terps in 2012.
- Mason Plumlee has led the Blue Devils in rebounding in 16 straight games and in 17 of Duke’s 18 games. He leads the ACC in rebounds (11.4 rpg.), double-figure rebounding games (13) and double-doubles (12).
- Since Ryan Kelly went down with a foot injury prior to the N.C. State game, freshman Amile Jefferson has seen his minutes jump from 8.8 per game to 22.7 per game. Jefferson has increased his scoring average (3.1 to 9.7 ppg), rebounding average (1.9 to 6.3) and field goal percentage (.531 to .560) with the increased minutes.
- Quinn Cook ranks second in the ACC in assists at 6.1 apg. Bobby Hurley (1990-93), Dick Groat (1952), Jason Williams (2000-01), Chris Duhon (2003-04) and Quin Snyder (1989) are the only Blue Devils to average over 6.0 assists per game in a season.
Duke-Maryland Series History
- Duke leads the all-time series with Maryland 112-61, including a 54-16 mark in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- Duke is 53-21 against Maryland under Coach K.
- Duke has faced Maryland 173 times, more than any other out-of-state opponent.
- In the regular season, Duke is 99-56 against Maryland. Duke is 12-5 against the Terps in the ACC Tournament and 1-0 in the NCAA Tournament.
- Duke has won five straight games against Maryland and 11 of the last 12 meetings.
Duke vs. the Atlantic Coast Conference
- Duke is 900-491 all-time in the regular season against teams currently in the ACC (includes games when those teams were not members of the ACC).
- Under Mike Krzyzewski, Duke is 338-142 against the ACC in the regular season and 53-18 in the ACC Tournament. Krzyzewski ranks second in ACC history with 391 career league wins.
- Duke has dominated the ACC regular season since 1997, logging a 207-54 record during that span which is 33 more wins than the next closest school.