- Rasheed Sulaimon – Why Duke Fans Have the Wrong ExpectationsPosted 8 hours ago
- Duke Basketball: Has Jahlil Okafor or Justise Winslow Been the Better Freshman?Posted 1 day ago
- Duke Basketball: Takeaways from the Win over StanfordPosted 3 days ago
- Duke Football: Despite Devastating Loss Duke Marches OnPosted 3 days ago
- Duke Basketball: Blue Devils Take Care of Business Against TemplePosted 4 days ago
- Duke Basketball: Preview of TemplePosted 4 days ago
Duke vs NC State Pregame Notes
Duke vs. N.C. State • Thursday, February 7, 2013 • 9:00 p.m. • ACC Network
Durham, N.C. • Cameron Indoor Stadium (9,314)
Play-by-Play: Bob Rathbun
Analyst: Dan Bonner
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
The Opening Tip
- Duke is 19-2 on the year and in pursuit of the program’s 48th 20-win season. With a win over N.C. State, Duke would eclipse the 20-win plateau for the 17th consecutive season and the 29th time under head coach Mike Krzyzewski.
- The Blue Devils climbed to No. 4 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke is 52-11 all-time when ranked No. 4 in the AP Poll.
- The Blue Devils have been ranked in the AP Top 10 for 107 consecutive weeks and in the top five for 12 consecutive weeks.
- Duke is playing its 198th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 165-32 in that span.
- Duke is 11-0 at home in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season.
- Duke is the only team in the country ranked in the top five in the AP and Coaches polls, the NCAA RPI and SOS rankings.
The Last Time Out
- Seth Curry scored 21 points for the second straight game to lead No. 5 Duke past Florida State 79-60 in Tallahassee, Fla., on Saturday.
- Curry went 5-of-7 from three-point range as the Blue Devils hit 11-of-18 (.611) of their three-point attempts. Quinn Cook hit a career-best 4-of-6 three-point attempts while Rasheed Sulaimon hit 2-of-4. Duke’s .611 three-point shooting percentage was the second-highest mark of the season.
- Duke scored the game’s first 11 points and built an 18-2 lead in the first 5:45 of the contest.
- Duke’s 19-point margin of victory was the most by an ACC team on the road this season.
- Four Blue Devils – Curry (21 points), Cook (18), Sulaimon (14) and Amile Jefferson (11) scored in double figures. Florida State had just one double-figure scorer in Aaron Thomas, who came off the bench to contribute 13 points.
- Duke, ranked No. 4 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 107 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
- Duke is the only team ranked among the top five in the Associated Press Poll (No. 4), Coaches Poll (No. 4), NCAA RPI (No. 1) and Strength of Schedule index (No. 2).
- Duke leads the ACC in three-point percentage (.411) and three-point field goals per game (7.7 3pg.). The .411 clip would rank as the third-best in school history.
- Duke is adjusting to life without senior forward Ryan Kelly, who has missed the last six games with a foot injury. In the Blue Devils’ first three games without Kelly, Duke went 1-2, averaged 70.7 points per game, gave up 77.0 points per game and shot .379 from the floor. In the last three games without Kelly, Duke is 3-0 while averaging 79.3 points per game, giving up 64.7 points per game and shooting .548 from the floor.
- Duke is one win shy of its 29th 20-win season under Mike Krzyzewski. Coach K is currently fifth in NCAA history in 20-win seasons trailing only Jim Boeheim (34), Dean Smith (30), Bob Knight (29) and Lute Olson (29).
- Duke owns a 1.42:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, which would best the previous school record of 1.32 set by the 2001 NCAA Championship team. l Duke is 4-0 this season in games that are within one possession in the final three minutes of play. Duke’s close wins were over No. 3 Kentucky (75-68), No. 2 Louisville (76-71), No. 4 Ohio State (73-68) and Wake Forest (75-70).
- Seth Curry leads the ACC with 2.6 made three-pointers per game. Curry is shooting .432 (51-of-118) from three-point range to rank second in the league in three-point shooting percentage.
- With 11.5 points, 6.2 assists and 4.1 rebounds per game, Quinn Cook is attempting to join Dick Groat (1952), Jason Williams (2000, 2001) and Chris Duhon (2004) as the only Duke players to average at least 10.0 points, 6.0 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game.
- Mason Plumlee is shooting .806 (25-of-31) from the floor over his last three games. His .604 field goal percentage is the sixth-highest in the nation.
- Coach K has started freshmen Rasheed Sulaimon and Amile Jefferson in four straight games. The last time Duke started two freshman in four straight games came in 2006-07 (Jon Scheyer and Lance Thomas).
Duke-N.C. State Series History
- Duke leads the all-time series 139-98, including a 47-23 mark in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke has won 14 straight against the Wolfpack in Cameron.
- The N.C. State series is the most played in Duke basketball history with a total of 237 meetings.
- Duke is 47-21 against N.C. State under Coach K.
- Duke has won 27 of the last 30 meetings in the series.
- N.C. State took the first game this season, 84-76, at PNC Arena. The Wolfpack – ranked No. 20 at the time – upset the top-ranked Blue Devils to hand Duke its first loss of the season. C.J. Leslie led N.C. State with 25 points, while Richard Howell recorded a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds and Lorenzo Brown scored 12 points with 13 assists.
- Duke has not lost back-to-back games to N.C. State since the 1994-95 season.