- Duke Basketball: Takeaways from the Win over UConnPosted 2 days ago
- Duke Basketball: Preview of UConnPosted 3 days ago
- Will the Semi Ojeleye Transfer Hurt Duke’s Title Chances?Posted 4 days ago
- Laken Tomlinson Named AP First Team All-AmericanPosted 4 days ago
- Duke Basketball: Takeaways from the Win over ElonPosted 5 days ago
- Week 5 – ACC Basketball Power RankingsPosted 6 days ago
Duke vs Santa Clara Pregame Notes
Duke vs. Santa Clara
Saturday December 29, 2012 • 12:02 p.m
Play-by-Play: Carter Blackburn
Analyst: Sean Farnham
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
The Opening Tip
- Duke is 11-0 on the year and looking to open the season with 12 straight wins for the 10th time under Mike Krzyzewski.
- The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the past 16 seasons.
- Duke has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll 124 weeks overall, including 106 weeks under Coach K.
- Duke is 209-31 all-time when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll. Krzyzewski is second in NCAA history with 185 wins and 211 games at the helm of the top-ranked team in the AP Poll.
- The Blue Devils have won 19 straight games in the month of December with 15 of the victories coming by 20 or more points.
- Mason Plumlee has scored 16 or more points in all 11 games this season. He is second in the ACC in scoring at 19.3 points per game, while also leading the league in rebounds (11.5 rpg.) and double-doubles (7).
The Last Time Out
- Duke topped Elon, 76-54, Dec. 20 behind a 21-point, 15-rebound effort from Mason Plumlee. He has now registered three games with 20+ points and 15+ rebounds this season.
- Ryan Kelly added 14 points, fi ve rebounds and three assists in the win, while Rasheed Sulaimon recorded 13 points and four assists.
- Quinn Cook also reached double fi gures with 10 points to go along with a career-best eight rebounds, three assists and four steals.
- Duke went 11-of-19 (.579) from three-point range as Sulaimon and Kelly each knocked down three three-point fi eld goals.
- The Blue Devils outscored Elon, 19-4, in second chance points. Duke collected 15 offensive rebounds, including eight by Plumlee. Elon collected just five offensive boards in the contest.
- Duke grabbed 43 rebounds and had a +11 rebound margin in the win over Elon.
- Duke, ranked No. 1 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 101 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
- Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (211 entering Saturday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
- Duke has been ranked No. 1 in either the AP or Coaches Polls in 18 of the past 28 seasons.
- The Blue Devils are playing their 188th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 157-30 in that span.
- Duke has won an NCAA-best 100 straight non-conference home games. The last home loss against a non-conference opponent for the Blue Devils was Feb. 26, 2000 against St. John’s, 83-82.
- The Blue Devils have won 47 of their last 52 nonconference contests. Duke is 79-9 in non-league games since the start of the 2008-09 season.
- Duke’s starting lineup has accounted for 86.5 percent of the team¡¦s total scoring this season with 765 of Duke’s 884 points. The starters have accounted for 43 of Duke’s 45 double-figure scoring games on the year.
- Mason Plumlee has scored 16 or more points in all 11 games this season and ranks second in the ACC in scoring (19.3 ppg.). He also leads the league in rebounding (11.5 rpg.) and double-doubles (seven). Plumlee is attempting to become just the fifth player in Duke history (joining Randy Denton, Mike Lewis, Art Heyman and Ronnie Mayer) to average 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game for a season.
- Quinn Cook has 25 assists and just five turnovers in his last four games while averaging 9.5 points per game during that span. Cook is shooting .563 (9-of-16) from three-point range during that stretch.
- Ryan Kelly is averaging 13.6 points per game over the past five contests. The 6-11 forward is 10-of-17 (.588) from three-point range in that span.
- Mason Plumlee is 19 points shy of becoming the 61st player in Duke history to top the 1,000-point plateau. Duke is currently tied for third in NCAA history with 60 career 1,000-point scorers.
- Rasheed Sulaimon has scored in double figures in nine of Duke’s 11 games this season. He ranks third among ACC freshmen in scoring at 12.7 points per game. Sulaimon leads the Blue Devils in free throw percentage at .840 (21-of-25).
- Duke is averaging 85.5 points per game, while shooting 49.8 percent from the field in the month of December. The Blue Devils are 37-of-80 (.463) from three-point range in their four December contests.
Duke-Santa Clara Series History
- Duke and Santa Clara have met two times in the series history with the Blue Devils winning both contests.
- Duke defeated the Broncos, 86-80, at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the first meeting between the two schools Dec. 26, 1970.
- The Blue Devils topped Santa Clara, 69-65, in San Francisco in the Cable Car Classic Dec. 8, 1972.
Duke vs. the West Coast Conference
- Duke is 10-2 all-time against teams currently in the West Coast Conference.
- Mike Krzyzewski is 8-0 at Duke against teams currently in the West Coast Conference.