THE OPENING TIP
- The 243rd edition of college basketball’s best rivalry takes place at Cameron Indoor Stadium Thursday when No. 18 Duke hosts No. 8 UNC.
- Duke has won four of the last five meetings overall and three of the last four at home. Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is 43-39 against the Tar Heels.
- Duke has utilized nine different starting lineups this season. No starting lineup combination has played more than five games together.
- Led by Luke Kennard (19.8), Duke is one of three major-conference teams with three players averaging at 15.0+ points (also Arizona State and UCLA).
- Kennard ranks third in the ACC with an average of 34.7 minutes per game. Despite the workload, he ranks third in the ACC in scoring and leads ACC guards with a .531 field goal percentage.
- Jayson Tatum’s average of 15.8 points per game is on pace to rank sixth among freshmen in Duke history. He has a chance to become just the fifth freshman under Coach K to average at least 15.0 points and 6.0 rebounds.
- Kennard, Tatum and Grayson Allen – Duke’s top three scorers – are shooting a combined .836 (250-of-299) from the free throw line.
- Duke’s best perimeter defender, Matt Jones also ranks fourth in the ACC in steals (1.7) and accounts for nearly a third of Duke’s steals on the season.
- Duke is 10-1 this season and 35-3 in his career when Amile Jefferson has a team-high in rebounds.