- No. 10 Duke and No. 11 Michigan State collide Tuesday night at the Breslin Center as the Big Ten/ACC Challenge matches up a pair of the sport’s blue blood programs.
- The game tips at 9:30 p.m. ET and is live on ESPN, and along the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College.
- The game is a rematch of last season’s NCAA Tournament East Regional final and marks one of three Top 25 match-ups in this season’s Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
- The teams are meeting in this event for the fifth time, with Duke taking the previous four. Overall, the Blue Devils lead the all-time series with the Spartans, 12-3.
- Duke is 18-2 all-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, the best record among either conference (by five games) and has won seven straight in the Challenge.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., has posted six consecutive double-doubles — all six have been 15-10 efforts, which is tied for the fourth-longest streak in Duke history — and just the second by a player under Mike Krzyzewski.
- Carey, who leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.618), is also sixth in the conference in scoring (18.4), fourth in rebounding (9.5) and fourth in blocks (2.4).
- Sophomore Tre Jones is a game removed from his first career double-double. He leads the ACC in steals (2.1), is second in assists (6.9) and second in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.13) among players with a minimum of 50 assists.
- Duke enters the game No. 4 in KenPom’s adjusted defensive efficiency, while ranking No. 19 in quickest tempo — the Blue Devils are the only team ranked top 40 in adjusted defense that is also ranked 20th or faster in tempo.
BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE
Duke’s 18-2 record in the 20-year history of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge is the best record for either conference, and the Blue Devils are on a Challenge-best seven-game winning streak…The Blue Devils are 4-0 versus Michigan State in the Challenge, including a 72-50 road win over the Spartans on Dec. 3, 2003 — Duke’s only all-time visit to East Lansing…Michigan State is 8-11 in the Challenge (7-2 in home games)…As a conference, the ACC is 12-5-3 and has won two of the last three overall Challenges against the Big Ten — last season was a 7-7 tie…Kyrie Irving’s 31 points versus Michigan State in 2010 stand as the Duke scoring record in the Challenge. See page 9 for a full list of Duke records in the Challenge.
ACC/BIG TEN CHALLENGE | MOST WINS*
Rk School Overall
1. Duke 18-2
2. Virginia 13-6
3. Wake Forest 12-5
4. Clemson 11-8
5. North Carolina 10-10
Maryland (0-5 as Big Ten member) 10-10
*entering 2019-20 ACC/Big Ten Challenge
RANKED VS. RANKED IN CHALLENGE
Entering this season, 225 total games had been played in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge — only 45 of those came with each team ranked in the AP Top 25…The ACC leads in Top 25 match-ups 25-20, with Duke accounting for a 12-1 mark.
The road team is 9-30 in ranked-vs.-ranked ACC/Big Ten Challenge games — of the nine road wins overall, Duke has accounted for five of them (5-1)…Michigan State is 6-5 in ranked-vs.-ranked games in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 17-2 when playing on December 3rd, including 4-0 in ACC/Big Ten Challenge games on this date…Four of Duke’s wins on this date have come over ranked opponents, including a 72-50 road win over No. 5 Michigan State on Dec. 3, 2003…The Blue Devils last played on this date in 2016 — a 94-55 win over Maine at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
DUKE VS. MICHIGAN STATE
Tuesday’s game is the 16th meeting between Duke and Michigan State, with the Blue Devils leading 12-3…In the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, the series favors the Blue Devils 4-0, with the last meeting coming Nov. 29, 2016 — a 78-69 Duke win at Cameron Indoor Stadium…These two teams met 248 days ago (as of Dec. 3) in an NCAA Elite Eight game in Washington, D.C. — a 68-67 MSU victory behind 20 points from Cassius Winston…The last 10 games in the series have been decided by an average 8.4 points per game…The Blue Devils’ only previous visit to East Lansing was Dec. 3, 2003 — a 72-50 win by Duke behind 16 points from Shelden Williams in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
DUKE AWAY FROM CAMERON
In the Coach K era, Duke is 252-142 (.640) in true road games and 276-77 (.780) in neutral site games, for a combined mark of 528-219 (.706) in all games outside of Cameron Indoor Stadium…In ACC regular season play, Duke is 183-117 (.610) away from home under Coach K. The Blue Devils are 127-64 (.665) in ACC road games since the 1996-97 season…Coach K has also won 16 road games against AP top five teams, the most in the history of the AP poll.
MOST AP TOP FIVE ROAD WINS | ALL-TIME
Rk Coach (School) Wins
1. Mike Krzyzewski (Duke) 16
2. Dean Smith (North Carolina) 14
3. Gary Williams (Maryland) 8
CAREY’S DOUBLE-DOUBLE STREAK
Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., rides a streak of six consecutive double-doubles into Tuesday’s game…It is the longest streak by a Blue Devil since seven consecutive from Marvin Bagley III two seasons ago…For Carey, four games have been 20-10 efforts, while each of the six have been 15-10 games…His streak of six consecutive games of 15+ points and 10+ rebounds is tied for the fourth-longest all-time at Duke, and only the second by a player under Coach K…Duke freshmen have recorded 60 of Duke’s last 62 games of 15+ points and 10+ rebounds.
Duke has connected on at least one three-pointer in 1,067 straight games, the third-longest streak in the nation…The last time Duke was held without a three-point field goal was Dec. 30, 1989, versus Hawai’i.
DUKE VS. RANKED OPPONENTS
Duke is 233-151 (.607) vs. ranked teams under Coach K, with a 153-79 (.659) mark since the 1996-97 season…The Blue Devils are 1-0 against ranked teams this season, after going 10-5 against ranked teams in 2018-19…Since 1996-97, Duke is 86-50 (.632) against ranked ACC teams and 67-29 (.698) vs. ranked non-league foes…In ranked-vs.-ranked games, Duke is 264-132 (.620) all-time, including 219-122 (.642) under Coach K…Under Coach K, the Blue Devils are 86-61 (.585) overall when both teams are ranked in the top 10…Under Coach K, Duke is 33-18 (.647) when both teams are ranked in the top five…With the win over No. 3 Virginia on Feb. 9, 2019, Coach K broke a tie with Dean Smith for most wins in top three games (11).