Duke at Virginia
Thursday, February 28, 2013 • 9:00 p.m. • ESPN
Charlottesville, Va. • John Paul Jones Arena (14,593)
Play-by-Play: Dave O’Brien
Analyst: Dino Gaudio
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
Sirius – 91; XM – 91
The Opening Tip
- The Blue Devils are ranked No. 3 in the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke is 1-0 this season and 110-22 overall when ranked No. 3 in the country.
- The Blue Devils have been ranked in the AP top 10 for 110 consecutive weeks. Duke had been ranked in the top five in 14 of the 17 polls this season.
- Duke is playing its 204th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 170-33 in that span.
- Head coach Mike Krzyzewski ranks third for most wins by a coach at one school with 878 career victories at Duke. He is one win shy of tying Dean Smith for second on that list.
- The Blue Devils are one league win shy of winning 12 or more ACC games for the fourth straight season.
- Duke is the only team in the top 5 of the Associated Press Poll (No. 3), Coaches Poll (No. 3), NCAA RPI (No. 1) and Strength of Schedule index (No. 2).
The Last Time Out
- Five Blue Devils scored in double figures as Duke handled Boston College, 89-68, on Sunday.
- Rasheed Sulaimon notched a career-best 27 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field, while Mason Plumlee added 19 points, 15 rebounds, four assists and two steals in the victory.
- Amile Jefferson went 5-of-7 from the field and 4-of-5 from the foul line in a season-high 14-point effort against the Eagles.
- Duke matched a season-best by shooting 62.1 percent (18-of-29) from the field in the opening half of play. The Blue Devils also established a season-best 24-point halftime lead (51-27) Sunday.
- Quinn Cook (12) and Seth Curry (11) also scored in double figures for the Blue Devils.
- Duke recorded a season-best seven three-point plays and also knocked down seven three-pointers in the win.
- Head coach Mike Krzyzewski is one win shy of matching Dean Smith for the second-most wins at one school. Coach K is also one win shy of joining Smith as the only coaches in league history to amass 400 or more ACC victories.
- Duke, ranked No. 3 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 110 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
- Duke is the only team in the top 5 of the Associated Press Poll (No. 3), Coaches Poll (No. 3), NCAA RPI (No. 1) and Strength of Schedule index (No. 2). Miami and Louisville are the only schools to rank in the top 10 in all four polls.
- The Blue Devils lead the ACC in three-point percentage (.416) and three-point field goals per game (7.7 3pg.). The .416 clip would rank as the third-best in school history. Duke has made 10 or more three-point field goals nine times this season.
- Duke also leads the league with a 1.39:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, which would best the school record of 1.32:1 set by the 2000-01 NCAA Championship team. Sophomore point guard Quinn Cook is second in ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.3:1).
- Mason Plumlee is tied for the ACC lead with 16 double-doubles on the year. Plumlee is averaging 17.5 points and 10.7 rebounds per game and is attempting to become the second Blue Devil (joining Shelden Williams in 2005 & 2006) under Coach K to average a double-double for a season.
- Rasheed Sulaimon was named ACC Rookie of the Week after averaging 22.0 points per game and shooting 65.4 percent (17-of-26) from the field in wins over Virginia Tech and Boston College last week. Sulaimon leads ACC freshmen in three-point field goals (44) and is second in scoring (12.4 ppg.).
- Seth Curry has scored in double figures in nine straight contests, including five games with 20 or more points in that span. He is averaging 18.7 points per game, while shooting 44.3 percent (27-of-61) from three-point range over the last nine outings.
- Duke is one win shy of posting 25 or more victories for the sixth straight season and the 22nd time overall under Mike Krzyzewski.
Duke-Virginia Series History
- Duke and Virginia have met 163 times heading into Thursday’s game with the first meeting between the two schools coming in 1911.
- The Blue Devils lead the all-time series, 115-48, including an 3-1 ledger at John Paul Jones Arena.
- Duke has won eight straight and 17 of the last 18 games in the series. Seven of Duke’s victories during its eight-game win streak have been by double figures.
- Mike Krzyzewski is 51-16 at Duke against the Cavaliers.
- Duke is 29-3 against Virginia since the start of the 1996-97 season. The Blue Devils three losses in that span have been by a combined seven points.
- Duke and Virginia have met 18 times in the ACC Tournament with the Blue Devils holding a 15-3 edge in those contests.
- Duke has won three straight games at John Paul Jones Arena since losing its first contest at the venue on Feb. 1, 2007. Sean Singletary hit a one-handed runner with one second remaining in overtime to give the Cavaliers a 68-66 victory.