THE OPENING TIP
- No. 1 Duke is back home Friday evening, looking to bounce back versus Winthrop in a non-conference clash at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- The game is live on the ACC Network, and can be heard across the Blue Devil Sports Network from IMG Learfield College.
- The Blue Devils dropped an 85-83 decision on a buzzer-beater in overtime Tuesday night against Stephen F. Austin, a loss that snapped Duke’s 150-game home winning streak against non-conference opponents.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., who is the reigning Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week, is riding a streak of five consecutive double-doubles — four of those have been 20-10 efforts, including a monster 31-12 performance against Cal last week at Madison Square Garden.
- Carey, who leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.633), is also fifth in the conference in scoring (18.6), third in rebounding (9.4) and third in blocks (2.6).
- Sophomore Tre Jones is coming off his first career double-double with 17 points and a career-high 12 assists. Jones is second in the ACC in assists (7.0), tied for third in steals (2.0) and second in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.33) among players with a minimum of 40 assists.
- Duke enters the game No. 3 in KenPom’s adjusted defensive metric, while ranking No. 20 in quickest tempo — the Blue Devils are the only team ranked top 40 in defense that is also ranked 20th or faster in tempo.
- The Blue Devils are No. 1 in this week’s AP Poll for a second consecutive week, extending the NCAA record for most weeks ranked No. 1 all-time to 144.
DUKE VS. WINTHROP
Duke and Winthrop have met just once previously, that was a 2002 NCAA Tournament First Round game in Greenville, S.C. — an 84-37 Blue Devil victory behind 19 points each from Carlos Boozer and Jason Williams…In games against members of the Big South Conference, Duke is 16-0 all-time.
ABOUT THE EAGLES
Winthrop brings a 4-3 record to Durham and last played on Nov. 25 — a 124-83 victory over Pfeiffer…The Eagles pulled off an early-season stunner, beating then-No. 18 St. Mary’s (Calif.), 61-59, on the road on Nov. 11…Freshman forward DJ Burns comes off the bench to average a team-leading 12.6 points, while senior forward Josh Ferguson plays 28 minutes per game with 11.7 points and 6.4 rebounds…The game marks the Eagles’ second in program history against a No. 1-ranked team — the first was against Duke in the 2002 NCAA First Round…Winthrop won the Big South regular season title in 2016 and claimed the conference tournament crown and a berth in the NCAA Tournament in 2017…Eighth-year head coach Pat Kelsey is no stranger to the ACC, having served on Skip Prosser’s and Dino Gaudio’s staffs at Wake Forest from 2001-09.
ON THE DATE
Duke is 10-6 all-time when playing on November 29, and has won three consecutive on the date…Eight of those games have come at Cameron Indoor (8-0), including a 2016 win over Michigan State, 78-69, in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
NOTING DUKE’S DEPTH…
Four different Blue Devils have led the team in scoring through seven games…Four scored in double figures against Kansas, Georgetown and Stephen F. Austin, five versus Colorado State and six against Central Arkansas…Five players are averaging 8.5+ points per game, while seven are averaging 3.0+ rebounds per game…Duke has deployed four different starting lineups…Nine are averaging 12.0+ minutes per game.
THE BEST UP-TEMPO DEFENSIVE TEAM
Among teams that play the most up-tempo style, Duke is by far the best defensive team…The Blue Devils rank No. 3 in KenPom for adjusted defense, while also ranking 20th in tempo (possessions per 40 minutes). No other team in KenPom’s top 40 for adjusted defense, is ranked higher than 36th (Texas Tech) in tempo…Virginia, which is No. 1 in adjusted defense is ranked 352nd in tempo, while Ohio State is No. 3 defense and No. 305 in tempo, and Kentucky is No. 4 in defense and 93rd in tempo.
Duke has connected on at least one three-pointer in 1,066 straight games, the third-longest streak in the nation…The last time Duke was held without a three-point field goal was Dec. 30, 1989, versus Hawai’i.