- In the Sweet 16 for the 27th time as a program and 25th time under head coach Mike Krzyzewski, top-seeded Duke battles fourth-seeded Virginia Tech in the East Regional semifinal on Friday night in Washington, D.C.
- Coach K’s 25 Sweet 16’s are more than any coach in college basketball history, while Duke’s 27 are the second-most.
- Duke is 113-37 (.753) all-time in the NCAA Tournament, which is No. 1 all-time in winning percentage and third in wins.
- Coach K’s 96 NCAA Tournament wins are not only more than any other coach in history, they are more than all but five teams and eight conferences all-time in NCAA play.
- National Players of the Year Zion Williamson (Sporting News) and RJ Barrett (USA Today) are looking to become the first freshman teammates in NCAA history to each average 20+ points in a season. Barrett (22.8) and Williamson (22.5) are first and second in the ACC in scoring.
- With 821 points, Barrett is fourth on Duke’s single-season scoring list. He is the only major conference player to score 13+ points in every game this season.
- Williamson is the only player nationally averaging 20.0+ points and shooting .650+ from the field.
- Duke, which leads the nation in blocked shots, is three blocks shy of tying the ACC record for most blocks in a season — 245, set by Duke’s 1998-99 team.
- The Blue Devils have faced half of the Sweet 16 field this season, playing the most games head-to-head (12) and compiling the most wins (8-4) against Sweet 16 teams.
Duke vs. Virginia Tech
Friday’s game is the 58th meeting between Duke and Virginia Tech, with the Blue Devils leading 47-10…In neutral site meetings, Duke leads 11-1…Duke is 7-3 in its last 10 in the series, with each of the three setbacks coming in Blacksburg…Freshman Zion Williamson did not play in this season’s meeting on Feb. 26 — part of his five-game absence (knee)…The teams have not met in the postseason since a 60-56 win by Duke in the 2012 ACC Tournament in Atlanta.
Versus the ACC in the NCAA Tournament
Just twice previously have the Blue Devils faced a fellow ACC team in the NCAA Tournament, winning both games…Duke battled Maryland in the 2001 Final Four in Minneapolis, winning 95-84 with 25 points from Shane Battier on its way to the program’s third national title…Last year, Duke beat Syracuse in the Sweet 16 in Omaha, 69-65, behind 22 points from Marvin Bagley III.
Duke Weathers a Tough Road
Duke finished as the AP No. 1 team, and earned the NCAA Tournament’s overall No. 1 seed after weathering one of the nation’s most grueling schedules…Duke played seven games head-to-head against NCAA No. 1 or 2 seeds — no other team played more than five — and Duke’s four wins were also the most…The Blue Devils have faced half the Sweet 16 field this season — Duke’s 12 games and eight head-to-head wins (8-4) being the most…Duke has played an NCAA-leading 13 games versus Top 25 teams (9-4), and its five wins (5-3) over top 10 teams and four wins (4-2) over top five teams are also NCAA highs…Of Duke’s 9-4 record versus the Top 25, eight wins have come away from Cameron Indoor Stadium…Duke was 5-1 against teams that either won their conference tournament or played in the title game…Duke is 15-5 against teams in the NCAA Tournament field.
Duke in NBA Arenas
For a college team that has produced the second most current NBA players (25), Duke has been tough to beat when playing in NBA venues…Duke is a combined 83-31 (.728) in 12 current NBA venues, which includes a 6-4 mark at Capital One Arena…The Blue Devils have won 14 of their last 16 at NBA venues, including a 114-84 win over Kentucky at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in this year’s Champions Classic, a 69-58 win over Texas Tech at Madison Square Garden, and going 3-0 in the ACC Tournament at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte…All-time, Duke is 6-6 when playing in Washington, D.C.
Barrett Surpasses 800 Points
Freshman RJ Barrett is just the fifth Blue Devil to score 800 points in a season, joining Duke greats J.J. Redick, Jason Williams, Dick Groat and Johnny Dawkins…As Duke beat UCF last Sunday, Barrett surpassed Dawkins (now UCF’s coach) for fourth on Duke’s single-season list…Barrett was the third-fastest Blue Devil all-time to reach 800 points, and the second-fastest under Coach K to score 700…In Duke’s history, only 84 players have scored more points in their careers than Barrett has this season (821)…Barrett enters the Sweet 16 just 10 points shy of Groat in third place and 20 shy of Williams in second place on Duke’s single-season scoring list. Redick’s 964 points in 2006 stand as the Duke single-season scoring record…Barrett is the first ACC freshman to score 800 points, and is just the third ACC freshman to score 700…Classmate Zion Williamson enters the Sweet 16 with 699 points, needing one point to reach 700 in his 32nd game.
Freshmen Make NCAA History
Freshman RJ Barrett poured in a game-high 26 points with 14 rebounds in the first-round win over North Dakota State…His 26 points are third-most by a Duke freshman in an NCAA Tournament game…His 14 rebounds matched the Duke NCAA Tournament record for a freshman. Elton Brand had 14 versus Syracuse in 1998…In the second-round win over UCF, classmate Zion Williamson poured in 32 points with 11 rebounds, setting Duke’s freshman NCAA Tournament scoring record. Kyrie Irving held the previous mark with 28 versus Arizona in 2011…His 32 points stand as the ninth 30-point game for Duke in the NCAA Tournament and seventh under Coach K. ..With 57 points over his first two NCAA Tournament games, Williamson joins former Texas star Kevin Durant as the highest scoring freshmen on the NCAA Tournament’s opening weekend (Durant had 57 for Texas in 2007)…Williamson’s 57 points matched the Duke record for most points on the NCAA Tournament’s first weekend (Bobby Hurley had 57 in 1993)…The performances by Barrett and Williamson were the 10th and 11th all-time 25-10 games for Duke in the NCAA Tournament, and the first two by Duke freshmen. They were the sixth and seventh all-time under Coach K, but just the third and fourth since 1990.
Williamson Win Wayman Tisdale Award
Freshman Zion Williamson has been named the 2019 winner of the Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year by the USBWA, becoming the fourth Blue Devil to win the award…He is Duke’s third honoree since 2014, joining Jabari Parker in 2014 and Jahlil Okafor in 2015. Luol Deng was Duke’s first winner in 2004…The award was first presented in 1989, and Duke leads with four winners…Williamson, and classmate RJ Barrett, are two of the USBWA’s four finalists for the Oscar Robertson Player of the Year Trophy, joining Tennessee’s Grant Williams and Murray State’s Ja Morant.
3-0 in One-Point Games this Month
Duke is 3-0 in one-point games this season, with each of those games coming in the month of March….It is the first time in Duke history the team has won three one-point games in the same month…Duke has not won three one-point games in a season since the 1985-86 squad was 3-0…The Blue Devils have won 13 of their last 14 one-point games dating back to 2008 — the lone setback in the stretch being a 64-63 loss at Virginia Tech last season…The 77-76 win over UCF was Duke’s 11th one-point game in the NCAA Tournament (7-4)…Under Coach K, Duke is 37-22 in one-point games.