- The fourth-ranked Duke men’s basketball team plays the first of two preseason exhibition games on Saturday night by welcoming Northwest Missouri State to Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- The Bearcats were 38-0 last season and are the reigning NCAA Division II national champion, continuing a long-standing tradition of Duke welcoming the previous year’s D-II champ for an exhibition game at Cameron Indoor.
- The 2019-20 campaign marks the 40th season at Duke for Hall of Fame head coach Mike Krzyzewski, where he has won 1,059 games and five national championships.
- Last season, the Blue Devils won the program’s 21st ACC Championship, finished the season as the No. 1-ranked team in the final Associated Press poll, won 32 games, reached the NCAA Tournament for the 24th consecutive season and advanced to the Elite Eight for the 22nd time.
- Duke’s 21 ACC Tournament titles extend a league record, three more than North Carolina and 11 more than NC State.
- Duke, Kansas and Gonzaga are the only programs to have won 25 or more games in each of the last 12 seasons. Duke reached the 30-win mark for the 15th time under Coach K, to extend an NCAA record.
- Welcoming the nation’s No. 2-ranked recruiting class this season, Duke’s freshmen roster includes three McDonald’s All-Americans — Vernon Carey Jr., Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore Jr.
Saturday’s game can be heard live in Raleigh/Durham on 620 AM (The Ticket), on goduke.com, and the TuneIn mobile app. The Duke vs. North Carolina football game at 4 p.m. ET can be heard live in Durham on 96.5 FM, in Raleigh on 99.3 FM (The Buzz) – the rest of the network will also carry football. The football game will also be on goduke.com, and the TuneIn app.
ABOUT NW MISSOURI STATE
Northwest Missouri State is making its second trip to Cameron Indoor in the last three seasons, also serving as an exhibition opponent for the Blue Devils on Oct. 27, 2017 — a 93-60 Duke win…Head coach Ben McCollum is in his 11th season leading his alma mater, having guided the Bearcats to a 38-0 record and the NCAA Division II title in 2018-19…Sophomore guard Trevor Hugins is the team’s leading returning scorer. He averaged 18.7 points and 5.3 assists in winning Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA) Freshman of the Year honors…Northwest Missouri State is located in Maryville, Mo., which is 90 minutes north of Kansas City, Mo. The program’s two D-II national titles in basketball have come in 2017 and 2019.
LOOKING AHEAD TO 2018-19
Duke’s 115th season of basketball will open with a marquee matchup as the Blue Devils and Kansas battle in the State Farm Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden…The game is set for Tuesday, Nov. 5 on ESPN, when the top four teams in the preseason AP poll will play in the same arena. Duke is ranked No. 4, Kansas is No. 3, while the second game of the Champions Classic is No. 1 Michigan State vs. No. 2 Kentucky…Of the teams ranked in the preseason AP poll, Duke is set to face five of the top 11 during the 2019-20 campaign…The Blue Devils are set for the 2K Empire Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project, with two home games (Central Arkansas and Georgia State) before a pair of games at MSG (Cal and either Georgetown or Texas)…In the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, Duke travels to preseason No. 1 Michigan State on Dec. 3 at the Breslin Center…In ACC play, the Blue Devils are scheduled for home-and-home games with: North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College. Only at home, Duke hosts Louisville, Florida State, Notre Dame and Pitt. On the road only, the Blue Devils face Virginia, Syracuse, Clemson and Georgia Tech.
AP POLL STREAKS EXTEND
With the release of the Associated Press preseason poll on Oct. 21, Duke was ranked No. 4 — extending two notable streaks…The Blue Devils have now been ranked in the top 10 at least once in 24 consecutive seasons — the longest active streak nationally…Duke’s 21 consecutive polls ranked in the top 5 is also the nation’s longest active streak.
The Blue Devils debuted at No. 4 in last season’s preseason AP poll, and went wire-to-wire in the top 5, finishing as the AP No. 1 team for the eighth time…Duke’s eight No. 1 finishes in the AP poll have all come under Coach K — the most No. 1 finishes by a college basketball coach all time.
ACC PRESEASON PICKS
Duke was selected as the favorite to win the 2019-20 ACC Championship, as chosen by media members…Picked as the preseason ACC favorite for the fourth straight season and the sixth time in seven years, the Blue Devils are the reigning ACC Tournament champion…Sophomore Tre Jones earned a spot on the Preseason All-ACC First Team, while freshman Vernon Carey Jr., was named to the Preseason All-ACC Second Team.