St. John’s Red Storm (10-13, 0-11) vs Duke Blue Devils (19-3, 7-3)
When: February 3, 2018
Where: Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY
Time: 12:00 pm EST
Overall: 23rd meeting; Duke leads, 16-6
In Durham: Duke leads, 6-1
In New York: Duke leads, 6-3
At neutral sites: Duke leads, 4-2
Current streak: Duke, W2
Coach K vs. St. John’s: 16-9 (16-3 at Duke)
TV: FOX (Gus Johnson/Jim Jackson/Shannon Spake)
Watch Live: Fox Sports Go
Radio: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network (Shumate/Roth)
National Radio: Westwood One (Chris Carrino/Kelly Tripucka)
Sirius/XM: Sirius 84 / XM 84
- Freshman Gary Trent, Jr., leads the ACC in three-point shooting in conference games (.493) and leads all NCAA
freshman in three-point shooting (.435).
- No. 4 Duke steps out of ACC action one final time for a date with St. John’s on Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
- The inaugural “The Garf” honors the late Howard Garfinkel, who was devoted to running Five-Star Basketball Camp from 1966 to 2008 and providing guidance to countless college and NBA stars, and coaches, including Mike Krzyzewski.
- The game marks Duke’s 53rd appearance at current Madison Square Garden, and the Blue Devils are 34-18 in the venue (29-10 under head coach Coach K).
- Duke’s last game against St. John’s at MSG was a 77-68 win on January 25, 2015 — the 1,000th career victory for Coach K.
- A win Saturday gives Duke its 22nd consecutive 20-win season and the program’s 53rd all-time.
- Duke is the only team ranked among the NCAA’s top 10 in scoring (90.2; 2nd), rebounds (43.1; 2nd) and assists (18.9; 4th). The Blue Devils are also third nationally in rebound margin (+10.7), seventh in field goal percentage (.509), and 11th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.54).
- Marvin Bagley III leads the ACC in scoring (21.5) and rebounding (11.4) and is second in the NCAA in doubledoubles (17). Trevon Duval leads the ACC in assists (6.0), while Grayson Allen is third in the league in assist-toturnover ratio (2.54).
- In conference games, Gary Trent, Jr., leads the ACC in three-point field goal percentage (.493). For the season, his .435 percentage leads all NCAA freshmen.
- St. John’s returns to Madison Square Garden on Saturday for its first game at “The World’s Most Famous Arena” since battling No. 1/1 Villanova to the wire on Jan. 13. Dating back to last season, the Johnnies have won five of their last eight games at The Garden.
- Shamorie Ponds joined elite company on Tuesday against No. 6/6 Xavier, as the sophomore guard became the 10th player in program history to enter the 1,000-point club in his second year. The Brooklyn native reached the milestone with a layup at the 11:22 mark in the second half and finished with 31 points.
- After starting the season 10-2, the shorthanded Johnnies have dropped eight of their 11 conference games by seven points or fewer. The Red Storm has been playing without the services of Preseason All-BIG EAST selection Marcus LoVett who is sidelined for the remainder of the season due to injury.
- St. John’s owns a 424-294 all-time record at Madison Square Garden, which has served as a home court to the Johnnies for 87 years. Saturday’s matchup with Duke is the 11th meeting between the programs at MSG. The Johnnies and Blue Devils have split their last two contests at “TheWorld’s Most Famous Arena,” but in total St.John’s owns just three wins over Duke in Midtown Manhattan.
- Saturday’s matchup between St. John’s and Duke, two of the top-10 winningest programs in Division I history, will be played in honor of the late Howard Garfinkel. Garfinkel ran Five-Star Basketball Camp from 1966 to 2008, providing guidance to countless players and legendary coaches.