Who: 2nd Seed Duke (28-7) vs. 11th Seed Syracuse (23-13)
When: Fri., March 23, 2018 at 9:30 p.m. ET
Where: Omaha, NE / Century Link Center
DUKE BLUE DEVILS
Head Coach: Mike Krzyzewski (Army ‘69)
Career Record: 1,099-337 (43rd season)
Record at Duke: 1,026-278 (38th season)
Head Coach: Jim Boeheim (Syracuse ‘66)
Career Record: 926-370 (42nd season)
Record at Syracuse: 926-370 (42nd season)
Overall: 12th meeting; Duke leads, 6-5
In Durham: Duke leads, 3-1
In Syracuse: Syracuse leads, 2-1
At neutral sites: Tied, 2-2
Current streak: Duke, W1
Coach K vs. Syracuse: 5-4
THE OPENING TIP
- Making its 26th appearance in the Sweet 16, second-seeded Duke battles 11th-seeded Syracuse Friday in the semifinals of the Midwest Regional.
- Duke is 110-36 (.753) in the NCAA Tournament, which is No. 1 all-time in winning percentage and No. 3 in wins.
- The Blue Devils’ 26 Sweet 16 appearances are second-most, while its 16 appearances since 1998 are the most.
- Head coach Mike Krzyzewski has led Duke to the Sweet 16 for the 24th time, a record number of bids by a coach. Coach K’s 93 tournament wins are also the most.
- Since 1985, Duke has been a top-three seed 29 times, four more than the next-closest school (Kansas, 25).
- Duke is the only team ranked in the top 10 of KenPom’s offensive and defensive efficiency. The Blue Devils are third in offense and eighth in defense.
- Freshman Marvin Bagley III, who scored 22 points in each game last week in Pittsburgh, leads the ACC in scoring (21.2) and rebounding (11.3). He is aiming to be the 13th player in ACC history (and first freshman) to lead in both.
- Bagley is just the second player in ACC history to be named ACC Player and Rookie of the Year in the same season. He is a first-team All-America by Sporting News and USBWA, and is a finalist for the Wooden, Naismith and Malone awards.
- Senior Grayson Allen enters the Sweet 16 just 31 points shy of becoming Duke’s 12th 2,000-point scorer. Allen has averaged 18.5 points and shot .396 from three-point range over the last 11 games.
- With 1,099 career wins, Mike Krzyzewski is the winningest Division-I basketball coach. His 93 NCAA Tournament wins and 24 Sweet 16’s are also the most.