Who: Duke vs. Virginia Union
When: Tues. Oct. 23, 2018 7:00pm ET
Where: Durham, NC / Cameron Indoor Stadium
TV: ACC Network Extra / WatchESPN
DUKE BLUE DEVILS
Head Coach: Mike Krzyzewski (Army ‘69)
Career Record: 1,100-338 (44th season)
Record at Duke: 1,027-279 (39th season)
VIRGINIA UNION PANTHERS
Head Coach: Jay Butler (Virginia Union ‘98)
Career Record: 56-37 (4th season)
Record at Virginia Union: 56-37 (4th season)
Overall: First meeting
In Durham: First meeting
In Richmond: 0-0
At neutral sites: 0-0
Current streak: n/a
Coach K vs. Virginia Union: 0-0
THE OPENING TIP
- The fourth-ranked Duke men’s basketball team plays the rst of two preseason exhibition games on Tuesday night by welcoming Virginia Union to Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- VUU is the reigning CIAA conference champion, having won four games in four days to capture the tournament title in Charlotte last March.
- Duke and Virginia Union also played an exhibition game at Cameron prior to the 2008-09 season — a 114-50 Blue Devil victory.
- Duke welcomes the nation’s No. 1-ranked recruiting class this season, headlined by the No. 1 prospect, Canadian- born RJ Barrett. The class also includes No. 2-ranked Zion Williamson, No. 3 Cam Reddish and No. 10 Tre Jones. The fifth freshman, Joey Baker, was a 2019 Duke commit that reclassified to the 2018 class.
- The Blue Devils are coming off a 29-8 season in 2017-18 and an Elite Eight appearance — the program’s 23rd consecutive NCAA Tournament berth and its 21st all-time Elite Eight.
- Duke’s final AP Top 25 rank of No. 9 marked the 37th time the program finished a season ranked in the top 10.
- The Blue Devils’ 114th season of basketball officially begins Tuesday, Nov. 6 against Kentucky in the State Farm Champions Classic in Indianapolis.
- Duke and Arizona enter 2018-19 as the only Power 5 programs looking to replace their entire starting five from last season.
- Entering his 39th season at Duke and 44th overall, head coach Mike Krzyzewski is the NCAA’s all-time leader in wins with 1,100.