THE OPENING TIP
- No. 7 Duke begins its final road swing this week, which starts Tuesday night at Wake Forest as the Blue Devils look to sweep the season series.
- The game tips at 7 p.m. ET on ACC Network with Dave O’Brien, Cory Alexander and Katie George on the call. On the radio, David Shumate and John Roth have the call on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 84 and XM 84.
- Duke beat Wake, 90-59, on January 11 at Cameron Indoor for its 11th consecutive win in the series.
- The Blue Devils (13-3 ACC) enter the week tied for second with Florida State in the ACC standings. Duke and FSU are each a half-game back of Louisville for the top spot.
- Sophomore Tre Jones is the only player ranked in the ACC’s top 10 in scoring, FG percentage, assists, steals and A/T ratio.
- Jones, who is averaging 17.2 points over the last 13 games, is the only major conference player — and one of just six nationally — averaging 15.5+ points, 6.0+ assists, a 2.0+ A/T ratio and shooting .430+ from the field.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., is averaging 28.9 points per 40 minutes — the third highest average among any power conference player behind only Marquette’s Markus Howard (32.9) and Iowa’s Luka Garza (30.6).
- Carey’s 13 double-doubles are second most among NCAA freshmen and his nine 20-10 games lead NCAA freshmen and are second-most among any player nationally.
- Freshman Matthew Hurt is coming off his first career double-double (16 points, 10 rebounds) in the Virginia Tech game – 80 of Duke’s last 86 double-double have come from freshmen.
- The Blue Devils are third nationally in both scoring offense (82.6) and scoring margin (+16.0), and their five 30-point wins in ACC play have set a new school record.
- Duke is one of only two teams nationally (FIU) — and the only power conference team — ranked in the NCAA’s top 30 for steals, blocks and three-point field goal defense.
DUKE VS. WAKE FOREST
Duke and Wake Forest are meeting for the 253rd time in a series that dates to the 1905-06 season. The Blue Devils lead the series 174-78, including 50-39 in Winton-Salem (17-11 at the LJVM Coliseum)…Duke has won 11 straight in the series — its second-longest active ACC winning streak behind 13 consecutive wins over Georgia Tech…Duke won 90-59 on January 11 at Cameron Indoor behind a game-high 23 points from Tre Jones. Wake’s Brandon Childress was held scoreless (0-6 FG) in that game…Five Blue Devils reached double-digits in that win as Duke shot .532 from the field and knocked down 11 threes…With the exception of Jones, each of Duke’s last 10 leading scorers in a Duke-Wake game are now playing in the NBA.
DUKE’S MOST FREQUENT RIVALS
Wake Forest and North Carolina are Duke’s most-frequently played rivals, with each series standing at 252 previous games…Duke’s 249 games versus NC State are next most.
SCOUTING THE DEMON DEACONS
Wake Forest, which is 11-15 overall and 4-12 in the ACC, has not played since February 19, an 86-79 setback to Georgia Tech in Winston-Salem…The Demon Deacons have dropped four of their last five…Brandon Childress leads three Deacs in double-digits points (15.0), while also averaging 4.5 assists…Olivier Sarr, who scored 13 points in the first meeting versus Duke in January, is second on the team in scoring (12.4) and leads in rebounding (8.6).
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 21-12 when playing on February 25 and has won 11 of the last 12 on this date…In ACC play, the Blue Devils are 9-7 on February 25…Duke and Wake have played just once on this date — a 98-83 win by the Blue Devils in 1964 in Durham.
DUKE AWAY FROM CAMERON
In the Coach K era, Duke is 259-144 (.643) in true road games and 276-77 (.780) in neutral site games, for a combined mark of 535-221 (.706) in all games outside of Cameron Indoor Stadium…In ACC regular season play, Duke is 189-119 (.614) away from home under Coach K. The Blue Devils are 133-66 (.668) in ACC road games since the 1996-97 season…Coach K’s 189 ACC road wins are a conference record…Dating back to the 2017-18 season, Duke has won 18 of its last 24 ACC road games. It marks the program’s best stretch since winning of 18 of 24 ACC road games from the 2009-10 season to the 2011-12 season…Coach K has also won 16 road games against AP top five teams, the most in the history of the AP poll.
DUKE in the polls
Duke is No. 7 in this week’s AP Poll — its 41st consecutive poll in the AP top 10 to extend the nation’s second-longest active streak…Duke has also been ranked in the top 10 at least once in 24 consecutive years — the longest active streak nationally…Duke went wire-to-wire in the AP top five last season for the ninth time in school history — all coming under Coach K…With Duke ranked No. 1 earlier this season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski passed UCLA legend John Wooden for most wins as the coach of a No. 1-ranked team.
NOTHING EASY OUTSIDE THE ARC
Duke is holding opponents to a .295 mark from three-point range to rank second in the ACC, rank 27th nationally, and ninth among power conference teams…The Blue Devils are allowing opponents to make an average of just 4.8 three-pointers per game — the seventh fewest yielded nationally (second fewest among power conference teams)…Since January 1, Duke has allowed just 69 made three-pointers — the fewest by any power conference team…Fourteen times this season opponents have shot less than .300 from three-point range.
MORE THE DEFENSE
Duke is seventh in the NCAA and leads the ACC in blocked shots per game (6.0)…Nineteen times this season, Duke has blocked five or more shots, including in seven of the last 10 games…Duke is second in the ACC and 21st nationally in steals per game (8.5)…Duke is one of only two teams nationally (FIU) — and the only power conference team — ranked in the NCAA’s top 30 for steals, blocks and three-point field goal defense…Duke is second in the ACC and 40th nationally in most turnovers forced per game (15.8).
DUKE – THIRD IN SCORING MARGIN AND OFFENSE
Duke is third nationally in both scoring offense (82.6) and scoring margin (+16.0), while ranking 16th in field goal percentage (.477). Duke leads the ACC in all three stats…Duke is 13-0 this season when scoring 85+ points…Eight of Duke’s 22 wins are by 30+ points, including five ACC wins by 30+, which is a new program record…The program’s previous record for most 30-point wins in ACC play was set in 1997-98, 1998-99 and 2000-01…The 39-point margin in the BC win (88-49) was Duke’s largest in an ACC game since beating Georgia Tech, 110-57, on Jan. 3, 2017…Duke is ranked fourth overall in KenPom, and is one of three teams (San Diego State and Kansas) ranked in KenPom’s top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency.
PLAYERS WITH 100+ POINTS IN A SEASON
Duke is on the verge of having 10 different players score at least 100 points in a season for the first time in program history…Eight have already surpassed 100 points this season, with seniors Javin DeLaurier (99 points) and Jack White (92) just a few points shy…Duke has had nine players score at least 100 points nine times — most recently in the 2002-03 season.