THE OPENING TIP
- In the midst of a three-game holiday homestand and riding a four-game winning streak, No. 4 Duke welcomes Brown for a Saturday matinée at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- Saturday’s game tips at 11:30 a.m. ET and is live on ESPN2, and across the Blue Devils Sports Network from Learfield IMG College.
- The Blue Devils have not played since a December 19th date versus Wofford, and will host Boston College on New Year’s Eve night in an ACC tilt to close the decade.
- In the decade of the 2010s, Duke has won two national championships, owns the third-highest winning percentage (.810) and fourth-most wins (298) in college basketball.
- The Blue Devils lead the ACC in scoring offense (83.6; 8th NCAA), scoring margin (+18.8; 6th NCAA), rebounding margin (+9.9; 6th NCAA) and blocked shots (6.5; 6th NCAA).
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., has posted eight double-doubles this season (third-most in the NCAA) — all eight have been 15-10 efforts. Carey is the only player nationally with six games of 20+ points and 10+ rebounds.
- Carey, who leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.610), is also fourth in the conference in scoring (18.6), third in rebounding (9.3) and fourth in blocks (2.2).
- Sophomore Joey Baker scored a career-high 22 points on 5-of-7 shooting from three-point in Duke’s win over Wofford, becoming the fifth different Blue Devil to score 20+ points in a game this season.
- Duke is averaging 32.3 points from the bench over the last four games. For the season, the Blue Devils are getting 24.5 points per game from the bench — the team’s best average over the last five seasons.
DUKE VS. BROWN
Duke and Brown have met just four times previously, with the Blue Devils leading the series 3-1…The teams last met November 25, 1994 — an 80-38 Duke victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
Brown brings a 5-5 record into Cameron Indoor Stadium, last playing December 10 — an 81-72 setback at St. John’s…The Bears are led by Brandon Anderson, who averages 21.0 points and 4.4 rebounds per game, while Tamenang Chou scores 14.2 points and averages 8.3 rebounds…Now in his eighth season at his alma mater, head coach Mike Martin was the fourth-youngest head men’s basketball coach in Division I when he was hired…Martin was an assistant coach at Penn (2006-12) before moving on to Brown, twice visiting Cameron Indoor with the Quakers — a 114-55 loss on December 31, 2009 and an 85-55 loss on January 1, 2012.
Duke has connected on at least one three-pointer in 1,070 straight games, the third-longest streak in the nation…The last time Duke was held without a three-point field goal was Dec. 30, 1989, versus Hawai’i.
NCAA’S NET NUMBERS
Duke sits at No. 9 in the NCAA’s latest NET rankings, which were released on December 26…The NET is one of the main evaluation tools used by the NCAA Selection Committee, for which Duke AD Kevin White is the chair of the committee this season…Duke is 4-0 in Quad 1 games — one of only two teams nationally with four+ Quad 1 wins (Butler, 4-1).
Duke has sold out 461 consecutive games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last time Duke did not have a sellout at home was on Nov. 16, 1990, against Boston College…The sellout figure is the longest current streak (by time) in either men’s college basketball or the NBA.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has posted an all-time record of 897-162 (.847) at Cameron Indoor, including 539-67 (.889) under Coach K…The Blue Devils have 18 undefeated home seasons, including 11 under Coach K…Duke finished 15-2 last season at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Duke has the fourth-most wins (298) and the third-best winning percentage (.810) in the NCAA this decade (since Jan. 1, 2010)…Duke’s two NCAA championships this decade are tied with Villanova and UConn for the most in that span.
THE SEASON FOR CHARITY
In the month of December, only eight power conference teams are better at the free throw than Duke’s percentage of .800 (40-of-50)…As a team, the 10-for-10 performance at the line against Virginia Tech marked just the fourth time a Duke team was perfect at the stripe (min. 10 attempts)…Sophomore Joey Baker has made the first 10 free throw attempts of his career, while freshman Vernon Carey Jr., carries a streak of nine consecutive made free throws.
BLUE DEVILS’ BIG BENCH
Duke has been boosted by a deep bench this season, with six players averaging 6.0+ points per game…Over the last four games, the Blue Devils’ bench has averaged 32.3 points per game, which includes 43 in the Wofford win and 35 in the win at Virginia Tech…For the season, Duke’s 24.5 bench points per game would be the team’s most in at least the last five seasons…The 35 bench points at Virginia Tech were Duke’s most in an ACC game since Jan. 23, 2017 vs. NC State (41).