- No. 9 Duke opens its 116th season of basketball on Saturday by welcoming Coppin State to Cameron Indoor Stadium at 2 p.m. ET.
- The game is live on ACC Network Extra, and can be heard across the Blue Devil Sports Network from IMG Learfield College. ACC Network Extra is a streaming-only option, offered exclusively through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. It is included if your cable or streaming service provider carries ACC Network.
- When Saturday’s game tips, it will mark 266 days since the Blue Devils last played — the longest drought of games for Duke since the 267 days between the 1981-82 and 1982-83 campaigns. Duke ended last season with a win over North Carolina in the regular season finale (March 7) before the COVID-19 pandemic canceled the ACC Tournament, the NCAA Tournament and delayed the start of the 2020-21 season.
- The 2020-21 campaign marks the 41st season at Duke (46th overall) for Hall of Fame head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Coach K’s 1,157 overall wins and 1,084 wins at Duke are each NCAA records.
- Duke, Kansas and Gonzaga are the only programs to have won 25 or more games in each of the last 13 seasons.
- Ranked No. 9 in the preseason AP poll, Duke is in the AP’s preseason top 10 for the 13th straight year. The Blue Devils have been ranked in the top 10 at least some point during a season in 25 consecutive years -– the longest active streak in the nation (Kansas, 15). Duke has also been ranked in 84 consecutive polls dating back to 2016, the nation’s second-longest active streak.
- Sophomore Matthew Hurt, Duke’s leading returning scorer, enters the year ranked as the 22nd-best player in the nation by CBS Sports. Hurt averaged 9.7 points and shot .393 from three-point range — the 10th best freshman performance in school history.
- Freshman Jalen Johnson (first team) and sophomore Wendell Moore Jr. (second) were each tapped to the Preseason All-ACC team.
- Duke’s 2020-21 roster features seven newcomers — six freshmen that comprised the nation’s No. 2 recruiting class and graduate transfer Patrick Tapé from Columbia University — the program’s first grad transfer all time.
- Duke has won 20 consecutive season openers, and is 38-2 in season openers under Coach K.
Duke achieved the program’s 55th 20-win season in 2019-20, and the Blue Devils have won 20+ in 24 consecutive seasons, including this past season…Duke, Gonzaga and Kansas are the only programs to have won 25 or more games in each of the last 13 seasons…The Blue Devils have reached the 30-win mark in 15 different season under Coach K — an NCAA record.
DUKE IN SEASON OPENERS
The Blue Devils are 38-2 in season openers under Coach K, and have won 20 consecutive…All-time, Duke is 91-24 in season openers…November 28 marks the Blue Devils’ latest season opener since a 110-73 win over Appalachian State on Nov. 28, 1987.
DUKE VS. COPPIN STATE
Duke and Coppin State have never met on the hardwood…The Blue Devils are 18-0 all-time against teams from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC)…Duke is also scheduled later this season for match-ups versus first-time opponents Bellarmine and Charleston Southern.
ABOUT THE EAGLES
Coppin State finished 11-20 last season and 7-9 in MEAC play…Senior Koby Thomas is CSU’s leading returning scorer after averaging 13.3 points and shooting a team-best .469 from the field…The two-time MEAC Player of the Week and two-time MEAC Defensive Player of the Week finished ninth in the conference in steals (41)…Fourth-year head coach Juan Dixon is no stranger to Cameron Indoor Stadium, having gone 2-2 in the venue as a guard with Maryland from 1999-2002…Dixon and the Terrapins faced the Blue Devils 11 times over his four-year career. Duke won eight, including twice in the ACC Tournament and in the 2001 national semifinals on Duke’s way to the 2001 title.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 8-2 all-time when playing on November 28, and have won five straight…The Blue Devils last played on this date in 2012 — a 73-68 victory over Ohio State at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge…Duke also had season openers on this date in 1981, 1986 and 1987.
AP POLL STREAKS EXTEND
With the release of the Associated Press preseason poll on Nov. 9, Duke was ranked No. 9 — extending some notable streaks…The Blue Devils have now been ranked in the top 10 at least once in 25 consecutive seasons — the longest active streak nationally by a decade (Kansas, 15)…This marks the 13th consecutive season that the Blue Devils have debuted in the top 10…Duke has also been ranked in 84 consecutive polls dating back to 2016, the nation’s second-longest active streak.