THE OPENING TIP
- In the 100th anniversary season of the Duke-North Carolina rivalry, the teams meet for the 253rd time on Saturday night in the regular season finale at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- The game tips at 6 p.m. ET on ESPN with Dan Shulman, Jay Bilas and Holly Rowe on the call. On the radio, David Shumate and John Roth have the call on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 81 and XM 81. The national radio broadcast on Compass Media has Gregg Daniels and Rick Mahorn calling the action.
- Thanks in part to Tre Jones’ late-game heroics and Wendell Moore Jr.’s buzzer-beater in overtime, the Blue Devils won a classic at the Dean E. Smith Center on Feb. 8, 98-96, and are looking to sweep the regular-season series for the first time since the 2014-15 season.
- The reigning ACC Tournament champions, the Blue Devils will have a double-bye in next week’s tournament in Greensboro. Duke is still in the mix for a share of the ACC regular season title and can finish as the No. 2, 3 or 4-seed.
- Duke has won two straight over North Carolina and is 54-49 in the series in Durham, including 45-37 at Cameron Indoor.
- Duke is ranked third nationally in scoring (82.3), fifth in scoring margin (+14.6), fourth in blocked shots (6.0), 21st in steals (8.4) and 27th in field goal percentage (.471).
- Sophomore Tre Jones, one of five finalists for the Bob Cousy Award and one of 10 semifinalists for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year, is the only player ranked in the ACC’s top 10 in scoring, FG percentage, assists, steals and A/T ratio.
- Jones owns a career assist/turnover ratio of +2.84, which stands as a Duke record.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., is averaging 28.4 points per 40 minutes — the third highest average among any power conference player behind only Marquette’s Markus Howard (33.5) and Iowa’s Luka Garza (29.9).
- Duke will honor its three seniors — Javin DeLaurier, Justin Robinson and Jack White — on Saturday for Senior Day.
DUKE VS. NORTH CAROLINA
The 2019-20 season marks the 100th anniversary of the first Duke-North Carolina game, which was played January 24, 1920 — a 36-25 UNC win in Durham…Saturday’s game in Durham is the 253rd all-time meeting, with North Carolina leading the series, 139-113…In Durham, Duke leads 54-49, including 45-37 at Cameron Indoor. Duke has won five of the last seven at home…Duke is 48-44 versus UNC under Mike Krzyzewski…Saturday’s game marks the 57th consecutive in the series that Duke enters as a ranked team, and the 119th game in the series overall that Duke is ranked…As a ranked team, Duke is 68-50 versus UNC…RJ Barrett’s 33 points against the Heels in the first meeting last season marked the most by a Duke freshman in the rivalry’s history…Duke defeated Carolina, 74-73, in the semifinals of the 2019 ACC Tournament en route to the Blue Devils’ 21st ACC title, paced by 31 points from Zion Williamson…Over the last 100 games in the series, Duke leads 51-49.
SCOUTING THE TAR HEELS
North Carolina is 13-17 overall and 6-13 in ACC play, but brings a three-game winning streak to Cameron Indoor…Freshman Cole Anthony missed 11 games with an injury, but is averaging 20.2 points and 4.1 assists to lead the team in both categories…Junior Garrison Brooks is averaging 16.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and is second in the ACC in field goal percentage (.544) to Duke’s Vernon Carey Jr…Carolina leads the ACC in both rebounds per game (41.9) and rebounding margin (+7.7). Duke is second in rebounds (40.2) and third in margin (+5.9).
THE FIRST MEETING: DUKE WINS, 98-96
In a game Duke trailed by 13 with 3:55 left in regulation and by five with 20 seconds remaining in overtime, the Blue Devils won a classic at North Carolina on Feb. 8…Tre Jones hit a running jumper at the buzzer in regulation to send the game to overtime, and freshman Wendell Moore Jr.’s tip in at the buzzer was the game winner in overtime as the Blue Devils won for the fifth time in the last nine visits to Chapel Hill…Jones scored a game-high 28 points — 22 in the second half, including a string of 15 consecutive Duke points to end regulation and start overtime…It was the 14th Duke-Carolina game to be decided in overtime, with Duke winning 10 of them…Moore recorded his first career double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
In the win at UNC, sophomore Tre Jones scored a game-high 28 points with six assists and five rebounds…He became just the second player in the Duke-Carolina rivalry to post a 28-5-5 game, joining UNC’s Michael Jordan…Jones scored 22 of his 28 after halftime, including 15 consecutive to end regulation and start overtime — Duke’s last nine in regulation and the first six of overtime…He single-handedly outscored Carolina 18-15 over the final minute of the second half and overtime.
Duke has sold out 471 consecutive games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last time Duke did not have a sellout at home was on Nov. 16, 1990, against Boston College…The sellout figure is the longest current streak (by time) in either men’s college basketball or the NBA…Duke is 429-42 (.911) at home over that 471-game stretch.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has posted an all-time record of 906-163 (.848) at Cameron Indoor, including 548-68 (.890) under Coach K…Duke has won more games at its current home venue than any team in college basketball, leading Penn (Palestra), Vanderbilt (Memorial Gym), Kansas (Allen Fieldhouse) and UCLA (Pauley Pavilion)…Now in its 81st season as the home of the Blue Devils, Duke has averaged 11.1 wins since the venue opened January 6, 1940 — a 36-27 win over Princeton…The Blue Devils have 18 undefeated home seasons, including 11 under Coach K.
NOTHING EASY OUTSIDE THE ARC
Duke is holding opponents to a .299 mark from three-point range to rank third in the ACC and 31st nationally…The Blue Devils are allowing opponents to make an average of just 4.87 threes per game — the fifth fewest yielded nationally (second fewest among power conference teams)…Since January 1, Duke has allowed 83 made three-pointers — tied for the fewest by power conference teams…Sixteen times this season opponents have shot less than .300 from three-point range.
Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., has 14 double-doubles this season, which are second among NCAA freshmen and are second-most in the ACC…Thirteen of his double-doubles have been 15-10 efforts, while nine have been 20-10 games — both figures lead all NCAA freshmen…He is averaging a near double-double — 18.6 points and 9.5 rebounds over Duke’s last 11 games…His 14 double-doubles match the number posted by Zion Williamson last season and are tied for the third most by a Duke freshman all-time…Earlier this season, his streak of seven double-doubles, which was snapped at Virginia Tech, was the longest streak by a Blue Devil since seven consecutive from Marvin Bagley III in 2017-18.
CLUTCH FREE-THROW SHOOTING
In Duke’s 17 games this season where the final margin was 15 points or less (12-5), the Blue Devils are shooting .786 (92-of-117) at the free throw line in the final five minutes of regulation and overtime in those games…Sophomore Tre Jones leads the team in that category, hitting 44-of-48 (.917) at the line — not including his intentionally-missed free throw that led to his own offensive rebound and game-tying jumper at the buzzer to force overtime at North Carolina…Jones was a spotless 10-for-10 in the final five minutes to close out Syracuse.
TOP FIVE IN SCORING & MARGIN
Duke is third nationally in scoring offense (82.3) and fifth in scoring margin (+14.6), joining Gonzaga as the only teams in the top five in both categories…Duke is also ranked 27th in field goal percentage (.470), and leads the ACC in all three stats above…Duke is 14-1 this season when scoring 85+ points…Eight of Duke’s 22 wins are by 30+ points, including five ACC wins by 30+, which is a new program record…The program’s previous record for most 30-point wins in ACC play was set in 1997-98, 1998-99 and 2000-01…The 39-point margin in the BC win (88-49) was Duke’s largest in an ACC game since beating Georgia Tech, 110-57, on Jan. 3, 2017.