THE OPENING TIP
- No. 2 Duke puts its seven-game winning streak on the line Wednesday in the 97th meeting versus Georgia Tech.
- The game tips at 9 p.m. ET at McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta and can be seen live on ACC Network or heard across the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 84 and XM 84).
- The Blue Devils have won 12 straight in the series versus the Yellow Jackets — the team’s longest active winning streak over an ACC opponent — and lead the all-time series 73-23.
- The Blue Devils lead the nation in scoring margin (+21.7), and are leading the ACC in scoring (84.1; 4th NCAA), field goal percentage (.484; 17th NCAA), rebound margin (+10.5; 5th NCAA) and blocks (6.6; 6th NCAA).
- Duke is the No. 1-ranked overall team in KenPom and is the only team ranked in the top 10 of both offensive efficiency (5th) and defensive efficiency (3rd).
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., who is the No. 1-ranked player in KenPom’s Player of the Year ratings, has posted eight double-doubles this season (tied for most among NCAA freshmen) — all eight have been 15-10 efforts.
- Carey, who leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.628), is also third in the conference in scoring (18.4), third in rebounding (9.0) and fourth in blocks (2.1).
- Matthew Hurt is this week’s ACC Freshman of the Week, becoming the 15th different Blue Devil to earn the award over the last six-plus seasons. In that time, Duke has won the award in 59 of 117 weeks.
- Since Thanksgiving, no team in college basketball has averaged more blocked shots than Duke’s 7.5 per game.
- Duke has won consecutive ACC games by 30+ points for the first time since the 2001-02 season.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 16-9 when playing on January 8th and has won nine straight and 12 of the last 13 on this date…In ACC games, Duke is 8-3 on this date, including one previous meeting with Georgia Tech — an 88-71 win at Cameron Indoor in 1994.
DUKE VS. GEORGIA TECH
Wednesday’s game is the 97th meeting between Duke and Georgia Tech, with the Blue Devils leading 73-23…In Atlanta, Duke leads the series 28-15, including a 24-13 mark at McCamish Pavilion…The Blue Devils’ 12-game winning streak in the series is the team’s longest active streak against ACC opponents…Duke has won four consecutive road games in the series, having not lost on the road at GT since Jan. 9, 2010 (71-67)…The Blue Devils took last year’s meeting at Cameron Indoor, 66-53, behind 24 points from RJ Barrett.
SCOUTING THE YELLOW JACKETS
Georgia Tech is 7-7 overall and 2-2 in ACC play after its 96-83 victory at North Carolina on Saturday behind 25 points and eight assists from Jose Alvarado…The Yellow Jackets have won three of their last five since Alvarado returned from an ankle injury…The balanced GT squad has nine players averaging 16.0+ minutes and six averaging 6.0+ points per game…Michael Devoe’s 16.9 points per game rank fifth in the ACC, while Moses Wright is second in the league in field goal percentage (.572).
Duke has won consecutive ACC games by 30+ points for the first time since the 2001-02 season, and it marks just the eighth time in program history to post consecutive 30-point ACC wins…Duke has won 60 ACC games by 30+ points all-time…Duke’s +28.7 scoring margin over its first three ACC games is the third-best in school history.
Duke has held five consecutive opponents to less than 65 points, and two of the last three have scored 50 or less…The Blue Devils are allowing just 60.9 points over their seven-game winning streak and the 59.3 points allowed since December 1st are 23rd-fewest in the nation…Duke is ranked No. 3 in KenPom’s defensive efficiency, with top-20 ranks in both defensive steal percentage (12.6; 19th) and blocked shots percentage (15.5; 16th) — one of six teams nationally in the top 20 for both…Duke’s 75-50 win over Brown and the 88-49 BC win marked the first time since the 2010-11 season that consecutive Duke foes scored 50 or less — 83-48 vs. Bradley (Dec. 8) and 84-47 vs. Saint Louis (Dec. 11).
LEADS NATION IN SCORING MARGIN
Duke enters the Georgia Tech game leading the nation with a scoring margin of +21.7, including wins in its last four games by an average of 31.5 points…Eleven of Duke’s 13 wins are by 11+ points…The 39-point margin in the BC win (88-49) was Duke’s largest in an ACC game since beating Georgia Tech, 110-57, on Jan. 3, 2017 and marked the 23rd time in history Duke won an ACC game by 39+ points.
DUKE AWAY FROM CAMERON
In the Coach K era, Duke is 255-142 (.642) in true road games and 276-77 (.780) in neutral site games, for a combined mark of 531-219 (.706) in all games outside of Cameron Indoor Stadium…In ACC regular season play, Duke is 185-117 (.613) away from home under Coach K. The Blue Devils are 129-64 (.669) in ACC road games since the 1996-97 season…Coach K has also won 16 road games against AP top five teams, the most in the history of the AP poll.
Duke, which set a single-season school record for blocked shots last year (257), is back to its shot-swatting ways…Since Thanksgiving, no team in college basketball has averaged more blocked shots per game than Duke’s 7.5…For the season, Duke is fourth in the NCAA in blocked shots per game (6.6).