THE OPENING TIP
- Looking for the program’s 300th win of the decade, second-ranked Duke hosts Boston College on New Year’s Eve night at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- The game tips at 6 p.m. ET and can be seen live on the ACC Network, and heard across the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College.
- In the decade of the 2010s, Duke has won two national championships, owns the third-highest winning percentage (.810) and fourth-most wins (299) in college basketball.
- Duke is 30-9 in ACC home openers under head coach Mike Krzyzewski, and has won 12 straight and 22 of the last 23.
- The Blue Devils lead the ACC in scoring offense (82.3; 8th NCAA), scoring margin (+19.3; 5th NCAA), rebounding margin (+10.0; 9th NCAA) and blocked shots (6.7; 5th NCAA).
- Duke opened ACC play on December 6 with a 77-63 win at Virginia Tech, while BC is 8-5 overall and 2-0 in ACC play with wins over Wake Forest and Notre Dame.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., has posted eight double-doubles this season (most among NCAA freshmen) — all eight have been 15-10 efforts. Carey is the only player nationally with six games of 20+ points and 10+ rebounds.
- Carey, who leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.610), is also fourth in the conference in scoring (18.7), third in rebounding (9.0) and third in blocks (2.1).
- Duke is averaging 32.6 points from the bench over its five-game winning streak. For the season, Duke’s bench is averaging 25.3 points — its highest bench scoring average since 26.9 by the 2007-08 team.
- The Blue Devils have used eight different starting lineups through 12 games this season.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 12-3 when playing on December 31st and has won eight of its last nine on New Year’s Eve…The Blue Devils are 4-0 in home games on this date.
DUKE VS. BOSTON COLLEGE
Duke and Boston College are meeting for the 25th time, with the Blue Devils leading the all-time series 21-3…Since BC entered the ACC, the series favors Duke, 17-3…The Blue Devils are 10-0 in the series at Cameron Indoor…Last season, Cam Reddish poured in a game-high 24 points on 8-of-16 shooting in leading Duke to an 80-55 win over Boston College at Cameron Indoor…Duke and BC are scheduled to meet again February 4 in Chestnut Hill, marking the first time since 2012-13 they have played twice in the same regular season.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
Boston College is 8-5 overall, 2-0 in the ACC and has won four straight heading into Tuesday’s tilt with Duke…The balanced Eagles have six players averaging 7.0+ points, led by Derryck Thornton’s 12.8 points per game…Thornton is a graduate transfer from USC, who began his college career at Duke in 2015-16 (7.1 ppg and 2.6 apg in 36 games for the Blue Devils)…Boston College is allowing just 65.5 points per game — 59.5 over its four-game winning streak.
Duke has connected on at least one three-pointer in 1,071 straight games, the third-longest streak in the nation…It has been 30 years and a day since Duke was held without a three-point field goal — Dec. 30, 1989, versus Hawai’i…The Blue Devils’ streak was in jeopardy Saturday versus Brown until junior Alex O’Connell canned a trey with 6:41 remaining as Duke finished 2-of-16 from three-point range.
Duke has sold out 462 consecutive games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last time Duke did not have a sellout at home was on Nov. 16, 1990, against Boston College…The sellout figure is the longest current streak (by time) in either men’s college basketball or the NBA.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has posted an all-time record of 898-162 (.847) at Cameron Indoor, including 540-67 (.889) under Coach K..The Blue Devils have 18 undefeated home seasons, including 11 under Coach K…Duke finished 15-2 last season at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Duke has the fourth-most wins (299) and the third-best winning percentage (.810) in the NCAA this decade (since Jan. 1, 2010)…Duke’s two NCAA championships this decade are tied with Villanova and UConn for the most in that span.
Duke has won 296 league games and eight regular season ACC championships since 1997…The Blue Devils have also been outstanding in ACC Tournament play with 12 crowns in the past 23 seasons in what is considered the nation’s toughest conference…Duke’s 12 ACC crowns since 1997 are seven more than the next closest program and more than all of the other league schools combined (11 by six programs)…Duke is also the only ACC program to win at least three league tournament titles in succession during that stretch. The Blue Devils won five straight ACC titles from 1999-2003 and three in a row from 2009-11.
BLUE DEVILS’ BIG BENCH
Duke has been boosted by a deep bench this season, with six players averaging 6.8+ points per game…Over Duke’s five-game winning streak, the bench has averaged 32.6 points, which includes 43 in the Wofford win, 35 in the win at Virginia Tech and 34 versus Brown…For the season, Duke’s bench is averaging 25.3 points — its highest bench scoring average since 2007-08 (26.9) and the fourth-highest in Duke history…The 35 bench points at Virginia Tech were Duke’s most in an ACC game since Jan. 23, 2017 vs. NC State (41).
THE SEASON FOR CHARITY
In the month of December, only four power conference teams are better at the free throw than Duke’s percentage of .803 (53-of-66)…As a team, the 10-for-10 performance at the line against Virginia Tech marked just the fourth time a Duke team was perfect at the stripe (min. 10 attempts).