THE OPENING TIP
- Winners of six straight games, No. 2 Duke hits the road for three of its next four, beginning Saturday night at Miami.
- The game tips at 8 p.m. ET from the Watsco Center in Coral Gables and can be seen live on ESPN and heard across the Blue Sports Network from IMG Learfield College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 134 and XM 194.
- The Blue Devils have won two straight and three of the last four versus the Hurricanes in a series that dates back to the 1962-63 season. Duke leads the series 20-7.
- Duke capped the decade of the 2010s with 300 wins (tied for third-most in the decade), an .811 winning percentage (third-best) and two national championships (tied for the most).
- The Blue Devils lead the nation in scoring margin (+20.8), while also leading the ACC in scoring (83.3; 7th NCAA), rebound margin (+10.0; 9th NCAA) and blocks (6.7; 4th NCAA).
- Duke is the No. 1-ranked team in KenPom (No. 3 in defensive efficiency and No. 8 in offense). In the month of December, Duke allowed just 58.6 points per game (23rd NCAA).
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., who is the No. 1-ranked player in KenPom’s Player of the Year ratings, has posted eight double-doubles this season (most among NCAA freshmen) — all eight have been 15-10 efforts.
- Carey, who leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.613), is also third in the conference in scoring (17.9), third in rebounding (9.0) and fourth in blocks (2.2).
- Duke is averaging 33.2 points from the bench over its six-game winning streak. For the season, Duke’s bench is averaging 25.8 points — its highest bench scoring average since 26.9 by the 2007-08 team.
- Since Thanksgiving, no team in college basketball has averaged more blocked shots than Duke’s 7.8 per game.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 20-8 when playing on January 4th and has won eight of its last 11 on this date…In ACC games, Duke is 7-4 on this date, including the largest-margin ACC win of the Coach K era — a 53-point victory over Georgia Tech, 110-57, in the 2016-17 season.
DUKE VS. MIAMI
Duke is 20-7 all-time versus Miami, which includes an 8-5 mark in road games (6-4 at the Watsco Center)…The Blue Devils won last year’s meeting at Cameron Indoor, 87-57, behind 19 points from both RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish…In the last trip to Coral Gables, Duke pulled out an 83-75 win on Jan. 15, 2018, rallying from down 13 in the second half as Gary Trent Jr. dropped a game-high 30 points on 6-of-9 from three-point range…The teams have split the last 10 games in the series.
SCOUTING THE HURRICANES
Miami is 9-3 overall and 1-1 in ACC play after dropping an 87-74 decision to Louisville in the season opener, but beating Clemson, 73-68, in overtime on New Year’s Eve…The Hurricanes are led by Chris Lykes, Kameron McGusty and DJ Vasiljevic, each averaging 15.0+ points — the only team nationally with three guards averaging 15.0+ points…Lykes and Vasiljevic were held to four points each in last year’s game at Cameron Indoor.
NCAA’S NET NUMBERS
Duke sits at No. 7 in the NCAA’s latest NET rankings, which were released on Jan. 2…Duke is 4-0 in Quad 1 games — one of only three teams nationally with four+ Quad 1 wins (Butler and Kansas)..Duke, Gonzaga and Butler are the only top-20 NET teams with multiple Quad 1 road wins.
Duke has held two consecutive opponents to 50 points or less for the first time since the 2010-11 season — 83-48 vs. Bradley (Dec. 8) and 84-47 vs. Saint Louis (Dec. 11)…The Blue Devils are allowing just 60.7 points over their six-game winning streak and the 58.6 points allowed in December were the 23rd-fewest in the nation…Four straight foes have scored less than 70 points and three straight have scored less than 60…Duke is ranked No. 3 in KenPom’s defensive efficiency, with top-20 ranks in both defensive steal percentage (12.6; 19th) and blocked shots percentage (15.9; 12th) — one of only four teams nationally in the top 20 for both.
NOTING DUKE’S DEPTH…
Five different Blue Devils have led the team in scoring through 13 games — Tre Jones, Vernon Carey Jr., Matthew Hurt, Cassius Stanley and Joey Baker…Eight times this season, Duke has had four or more score in double figures…Five different Blue Devils have recorded a 20-point game this season — only four different Blue Devils had a 20-point game last season…Four players are averaging double-figures, while seven are averaging 5.8+ points per game…Seven are averaging 3.0+ rebounds per game…Duke has deployed eight different starting lineups…Ten are averaging 13.0+ minutes per game.
BLUE DEVILS’ BIG BENCH
Duke has been boosted by a deep bench this season, with seven players averaging 5.8+ points per game…Over Duke’s six-game winning streak, the bench has averaged 33.2 points, which includes 43 in the Wofford win, 35 in the win at Virginia Tech and 34 versus Brown…For the season, Duke’s bench is averaging 25.8 points — its highest bench scoring average since 2007-08 (26.9) and the fourth-highest in Duke history…The 35 bench points at Virginia Tech were Duke’s most in an ACC game since Jan. 23, 2017 vs. NC State (41), and the Blue Devils followed that with 32 bench points vs. BC.
LEADS NATION IN SCORING MARGIN
Duke enters the Miami game leading the nation with a scoring margin of +20.8, including wins in its last three games by an average of 31.0 points…Ten of Duke’s 12 wins in 2019-20 have been by 11+ points…The 39-point margin in the BC win (88-49) was Duke’s largest in an ACC game since beating Georgia Tech, 110-57, on Jan. 3, 2017 and marked the 23rd time in history Duke won an ACC game by 39+ points.
Duke, which set a single-season school record for blocked shots last year (257), is back to its shot-swatting ways…Since Thanksgiving, no team in college basketball has averaged more blocked shots per game than Duke’s 7.8…For the season, Duke is fourth in the NCAA in blocked shots per game (6.7).