THE OPENING TIP
- No. 6 Duke is back at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday night looking to sweep the season series from Virginia Tech.
- The game tips at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2 with Dave O’Brien and Corey Alexander on the call. On the radio, David Shumate and John Roth have the call on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 138 and XM 193.
- The Blue Devils (12-3 ACC) enter the weekend tied for second with Florida State in the ACC standings. Duke and FSU are each a half-game back of Louisville for the top spot.
- Sophomore Tre Jones is the only player ranked in the ACC’s top 10 in scoring, FG percentage, assists, steals and A/T ratio.
- Jones, who is averaging 17.5 points over the last 12 games, is the only major conference player — and one of just six nationally — averaging 15.5+ points, 6.0+ assists, a 2.0+ A/T ratio and shooting .430+ from the field.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., is averaging 28.9 points per 40 minutes — the third highest average among any power conference player behind only Marquette’s Markus Howard (32.6) and Iowa’s Luka Garza (30.6).
- Carey’s 13 double-doubles are second most among NCAA freshmen and his nine 20-10 games lead NCAA freshmen and are second-most among any player nationally.
- Carey is averaging 20.7 points and 10.3 rebounds over his last seven games.
- The Blue Devils are third nationally in both scoring offense (82.4) and scoring margin (+15.7), and their five 30-point wins in ACC play have set a new school record.
- Duke is ranked No. 6 in the AP Poll this week, extending the Blue Devils’ streak to 40 consecutive polls in the top 10 — the second-longest in the nation.
- Of the 1,370 games Mike Krzyzewski has coached at Duke, 1,225 have been as a ranked team. Duke is 999-226 (.816) as a ranked team under Coach K.
DUKE VS. VIRGINIA TECH
Saturday’s game is the 60th meeting between Duke and Virginia Tech, with the Blue Devils leading 49-10…In Durham, Duke has won 20 of the 21 all-time meetings…The game matches up two of the ACC’s highest-scoring players in Duke’s Vernon Carey Jr. (18.0 ppg; third) and Tech’s Landers Nolley II (17.3; fourth) — both are freshmen…Sophomore Tre Jones’ 15 points led four Blue Devils in double figures when the teams met earlier this season in Blacksburg — a 77-63 Duke win…In last season’s Sweet 16 win, then-freshman Jones played all 40 minutes and posted his first career 20-point effort with 22 points and eight assists on 8-of-14 shooting, including 5-of-7 from three-point range…First-year head coach Mike Young spent the previous 17 years as head coach at Wofford, where he was 299-244 and took the Terriers to the NCAA Tournament five times…Young faced Duke just once in his time at Wofford — an 84-55 Blue Devil win at Cameron Indoor on Dec. 31, 2014.
SCOUTING THE HOKIES
Virginia Tech just completed a three-game homestand that saw a win over Pitt and overtime losses to both Boston College and Miami…Freshman Landers Nolley II leads the Hokies in scoring and rebounds at 17.3 and 6.3, respectively…Only two players on Tech’s squad average double-figure points, but seven players are averaging 5.5+ points…After a stretch of eight wins in nine games midseason, Virginia Tech has won just twice over its last nines games — three of which have been decided in overtime.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 19-5 when playing on February 22 and has won 14 of the last 15 on this date…In ACC play, the Blue Devils are 14-2 on February 22…February 22 also marks the anniversary of Johnny Dawkins jersey retirement ceremony, which occurred in 1986 — a 93-84 win over Oklahoma at Cameron Indoor.
Duke has sold out 469 consecutive games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last time Duke did not have a sellout at home was on Nov. 16, 1990, against Boston College…The sellout figure is the longest current streak (by time) in either men’s college basketball or the NBA…Duke is 427-42 (.910) at home over that 469-game stretch.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has posted an all-time record of 904-163 (.847) at Cameron Indoor, including 546-68 (.889) under Coach K. ..Duke has won more games at its current home venue than any team in college basketball, leading Penn (Palestra), Vanderbilt (Memorial Gym), Kansas (Allen Fieldhouse) and UCLA (Pauley Pavilion)…Now in its 81st season as the home of the Blue Devils, Duke has averaged 11.1 wins since the venue opened January 6, 1940 — a 36-27 win over Princeton…The Blue Devils have 18 undefeated home seasons, including 11 under Coach K.
NOTING DUKE’S DEPTH…
Six different Blue Devils have led the team in scoring through 26 games — Tre Jones, Vernon Carey Jr., Matthew Hurt, Cassius Stanley, Joey Baker and Jordan Goldwire…Duke has deployed 12 different starting lineups — its most (by two) in at least the last six seasons…Fifteen times this season, Duke has had four or more score in double figures. Five times this season, five or more have reached double digits…Five different players have recorded a 20-point game…Four players are averaging double figures in points, while eight are averaging 4.7+ points per game…Seven are averaging 3.2+ rebounds per game…Ten are averaging 13.3+ minutes per game.
Duke has achieved the program’s 55th 20-win season this season…Duke has won 20 or more games in 24 consecutive seasons, including the 2019-20 campaign…Duke, Kansas and Gonzaga are the only programs to have won 25 or more games in each of the last 12 seasons…The Blue Devils reached the 30-win mark for the 15th time under Coach K last season, to extend an NCAA record.
MODEL OF CONSISTENCY
Duke has extended its streak of double-digit wins in ACC play to a conference-record 13 consecutive seasons…Duke’s streak is the third-longest active streak among power teams, behind Kansas (24) and Gonzaga (22).
Duke has connected on at least one three-pointer in 1,085 straight games, now the second-longest streak nationally…It has been more than 30 years since Duke was held without a three-point field goal — Dec. 30, 1989, versus Hawai’i…Vanderbilt had owned the second-longest streak before its January 18th game versus Tennessee (0-of-25).