THE OPENING TIP
- Winners of three straight and in the midst of a three-game ACC road swing, No. 7 Duke heads to Boston College Tuesday night looking to sweep the season series.
- The game tips at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN’s Super Tuesday with Rece Davis, Jon Crispin and Brooke Weisbrod on the call. On the radio, David Shumate and John Roth call the action on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 81 and XM 81.
- In his 40th season at Duke, head coach Mike Krzyzewski owns a 499-200 ACC record (regular season and tournament). Both his 499 wins and 187 road ACC wins are conference records.
- Duke has faced nine of the ACC’s 15 leading scorers, and held all but one to below his season scoring average.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., has 10 double-doubles this season. Each have been 15-10 games; eight have been 20-10 efforts — second-most among major conference players.
- Carey swept this week’s ACC Player and Freshman of the Week awards after averaging 26-15 in two wins last week.
- Bob Cousy Award candidate Tre Jones leads the ACC in assists, is second in steals and third in A/T ratio. He is one of only two major conference players averaging 15.0+ points, 6.0+ assists and 2.0+ steals with a 2.0+ A/T ratio.
- In conference play, Jordan Goldwire and Jones are first and second, respectively, in assist-to-turnover ratio.
- In road/neutral games, freshman Cassius Stanley is Duke’s third-leading scorer (13.5) and shooting a team-best .623 (38-of-61) in those games.
- The Blue Devils are second in the NCAA in scoring margin (+18.2) and points (83.4), and their four 30-point wins in ACC play have tied a school record set three previous times.
- Since Thanksgiving, no team in college basketball has averaged more blocked shots per game than Duke’s 6.7.
- Duke is ranked No. 7 in the AP Poll, extending the Blue Devils’ streak to 38 consecutive polls in the top 10 — the second-longest in the nation.
DUKE VS. BOSTON COLLEGE
Duke and Boston College are meeting for the 26th time, with the Blue Devils leading the all-time series 22-3…Since BC entered the ACC, the series favors Duke, 18-3…The Blue Devils are 8-2 in Conte Forum, but dropped an 89-84 decision in their last visit on December 8, 2017…Freshman Matthew Hurt poured in a career-high 25 points on 10-of-16 shooting, including 5-of-10 from three-point range when the teams met earlier this season at Cameron Indoor — an 88-49 Duke win…This season marks the first since 2012-13 that Duke and BC have played twice in the same regular season.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
Boston College is 11-11 overall, 5-6 in the ACC and coming off a 71-70 win at North Carolina on Saturday…Boston College is the fourth opponent to face Duke after defeating North Carolina in its previous game (Wofford, Clemson, Georgia Tech)…The balanced Eagles have seven players averaging 6.0+ points, led by Derryck Thornton’s 12.8 points per game…Thornton is a graduate transfer from USC, who began his college career at Duke in 2015-16 (7.1 ppg and 2.6 apg in 36 games for the Blue Devils)…Nik Popovic (10.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg) did not play when these team met on New Year’s Eve.
SHUTTING DOWN YOUR SCORER
Duke has held the opponent’s leading scorer to below his season scoring average 14 times this season, including in 12 of the last 14 games…In ACC play, Duke has faced nine of the conference’s 15 leading scorers 12 times, and held all but one (Syracuse’s Elijah Hughes) to below the player’s season scoring average…Wake Forest’s Brandon Childress was held scoreless in Duke’s win on Jan. 11 at Cameron Indoor — he’s ninth in the ACC at 15.4 points, while the ACC’s second-leading scorer Jordan Nwora (19.3) was limited to six points in the Cardinals’ victory on Jan. 18…Nwora’s six points stand as a season low … Landers Nolley II (Virginia Tech) scored seven versus Duke — his fewest in ACC play and second-fewest this season … Miami’s Chris Lykes has been limited to single-digit points in ACC play just twice — both versus Duke.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 25-9 when playing on February 4th and has won four straight and five of the last seven on this date…The Blue Devils are 15-5 in ACC games on this date.
DUKE AWAY FROM CAMERON
In the Coach K era, Duke is 257-143 (.642) in true road games and 276-77 (.780) in neutral site games, for a combined mark of 533-220 (.706) in all games outside of Cameron Indoor Stadium…In ACC regular season play, Duke is 187-118 (.612) away from home under Coach K. The Blue Devils are 131-65 (.667) in ACC road games since the 1996-97 season…Coach K’s 187 ACC road wins are a conference record…Dating back to the 2017-18 season, Duke has won 16 of its last 21 ACC road games…Coach K has also won 16 road games against AP top five teams, the most in the history of the AP poll.
SECOND IN SCORING & MARGIN
Duke is second nationally in both scoring margin (+18.2) and scoring offense (83.4)…Seven of Duke’s 18 wins are by 30+ points, including four ACC wins by 30+, which ties a program record…The program record for most 30-point wins in ACC play was previously set in 1997-98, 1998-99 and 2000-01…The 39-point margin in the BC win (88-49) was Duke’s largest in an ACC game since beating Georgia Tech, 110-57, on Jan. 3, 2017.
DUKE IN THE POLLS
Duke enters the week ranked No. 7 in the AP Poll, extending the nation’s second-longest active streak of top-10 appearances to 38 weeks…The Blue Devils have also been ranked in the top 10 at least once in 24 consecutive seasons — the longest active streak nationally…Duke went wire-to-wire in the AP top five last season for the ninth time in school history — all coming under Coach K…With Duke ranked No. 1 earlier this season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski passed UCLA legend John Wooden for most wins as the coach of a No. 1-ranked team.
Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., has 10 double-doubles this season, which rank second among all NCAA freshmen and are second-most in the ACC…Each of his double-doubles have been 15-10 efforts, while eight have been 20-10 games…Earlier this season, his streak of seven double-doubles, which was snapped at Virginia Tech, was the longest streak by a Blue Devil since seven consecutive from Marvin Bagley III in 2017-18…Duke freshmen have recorded 64 of Duke’s last 66 games of 15+ points and 10+ rebounds.