THE OPENING TIP
- Looking to sweep the season series, No. 8 Duke welcomes Miami Tuesday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the second meeting this month between ACC rivals.
- The game tips at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN as part of Super Tuesday with Rece Davis, Dick Vitale and Brooke Weisbrod on the call. On the radio, David Shumate and John Roth have the call on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 84 and XM 84.
- The Blue Devils took the match-up in Coral Gables on January 4th, 95-62, behind an ACC career high 24 points from freshman Vernon Carey Jr., a Miami native.
- Duke is in the midst of a three-game homestand — its longest in conference play — which is capped next Tuesday night versus Pitt at 9 p.m. ET.
- Duke is the No. 2-ranked team in KenPom and is the only team ranked in the top 10 for both offensive efficiency (4th) and defensive efficiency (8th).
- Freshman Cassius Stanley recorded his first double-double with career highs in points (24) and rebounds (11) in the Louisville game. The Los Angeles native is averaging 17.6 points and shooting .563 (31-of-55) over the last five games.
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr. is the ACC’s only player shooting .600+ from the field (.602). He is 25th nationally in shooting, and ranked fourth in the ACC in scoring (17.3), sixth in rebounding (8.4) and fifth in blocks (1.8). He also leads the ACC and is 18th nationally in most free throw attempts (120).
- The Blue Devils are second in the NCAA in scoring margin (+18.4), and are leading the ACC in scoring (82.6; 8th NCAA), FG pct. (.483; 13th NCAA), and blocked shots (6.4; 6th NCAA).
- Duke enters the week ranked No. 8 in the AP Poll, extending the nation’s second-longest streak in the top 10 to 36 consecutive polls.
DUKE VS. MIAMI
Duke is 21-7 all-time versus Miami, which includes a 10-2 mark in home games — all at Cameron Indoor…The Blue Devils won 17 days ago in Coral Gables, 95-62, behind a combined 57 points from the freshman trio of Vernon Carey Jr. (24), Cassius Stanley (20) and Matthew Hurt (13)…Duke won the only meeting last season at Cameron Indoor, 87-57, with Cam Reddish and RJ Barrett each scoring 19 points…The Blue Devils have won six of the last 10 in the series.
SCOUTING THE HURRICANES
Miami is 10-7 overall and 2-5 in the ACC, but coming off an 83-79 loss in overtime at home to No. 5 Florida State — a game Miami led by nine with five minutes to play…The Hurricanes are led by Chris Lykes, Kameron McGusty and DJ Vasiljevic, each averaging 14.0+ points. Lykes is scoring 16.1 points per game overall and 18.1 in ACC play…Lykes and Vasiljevic have been held to 25 points combined over the last two Duke-Miami games.
LAST MEETING: DUKE 95, MIAMI 62
Freshman Vernon Carey Jr., a Miami native, scored a game-high 24 points with nine rebounds in a 95-62 win on January 4, 2020 at the Watsco Center in Coral Gables…Duke’s .597 field goal percentage was its highest in an ACC road game since the 2012-13 season…The team’s .597 field goal percentage, 64 points in the paint and 23 assists were each season highs…Freshman Cassius Stanley also scored 20, including 16 in the first half, as Duke led 50-36 at the break…The 11 Blue Devils that played each scored at least three points and had at least one rebound.
COACHES VS. CANCER WEEK
This week is the annual Coaches vs. Cancer’s Suits & Sneakers Week, and Duke’s coaching staff will participate by wearing sneakers during Tuesday night’s game…Coaches vs. Cancer is a partnership between the NABC and the American Cancer Society. ..Just last week, the American Cancer Society announced the cancer death rate declined 29% from 1991-2017, including a 2.2% drop from 2016-2017, the largest single-year drop in cancer mortality ever reported…The steady 26-year decline (which nearly mirrors the existence of the Coaches vs. Cancer program) is driven by long-term drops in death rates for the four major cancers: lung, colorectal, breast and prostate.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has posted an all-time record of 900-163 (.847) at Cameron Indoor, including 542-68 (.889) under Coach K….Duke has won more games at its current home venue than any team in college basketball, leading Penn (Palestra), Vanderbilt (Memorial Gym), Kansas (Allen Fieldhouse) and UCLA (Pauley Pavilion)…Now in its 81st season as the home of the Blue Devils, Duke has averaged 11.1 wins since the venue opened January 6, 1940 — a 36-27 win over Princeton.
The Blue Devils have 18 undefeated home seasons, including 11 under Coach K.
Duke has sold out 465 consecutive games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last time Duke did not have a sellout at home was on Nov. 16, 1990, against Boston College…The sellout figure is the longest current streak (by time) in either men’s college basketball or the NBA…Duke is 423-42 (.910) at home over that 465-game stretch.
Duke has connected on at least one three-pointer in 1,077 straight games, now the second-longest streak nationally…It has been 30 years since Duke was held without a three-point field goal — Dec. 30, 1989, versus Hawai’i…Vanderbilt had owned the second-longest streak before its January 18th game versus Tennessee (0-of-25).
DUKE IN THE POLLS
Duke enters the week ranked No. 8 in the AP Poll, extending the nation’s second-longest active streak of top-10 appearances to 36 weeks…The Blue Devils have also been ranked in the top 10 at least once in 24 consecutive seasons — the longest active streak nationally…Duke went wire-to-wire in the AP top 5 last season for the ninth time in school history — all coming under Coach K…With Duke ranked No. 1 earlier this season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski passed UCLA legend John Wooden for most wins as the coach of a No. 1-ranked team.
AMONG O-BOARD LEADERS
Duke is 19th nationally in offensive rebounds per game, averaging 13.2 per contest…The Blue Devils are rebounding nearly 40 percent of their missed shots (36.8) — the 10th-best percentage in the nation (per KenPom)…Duke pulled down 30 offensive rebounds in the Georgia State win — the most in any game under Coach K and the most by any Duke team since the 1960s…The previous high for offensive boards under Coach K was 29 versus Appalachian State on Dec. 29, 1986.