THE OPENING TIP
- After a week off, No. 9 Duke looks to remain near the top of the ACC standings with a Tuesday night showdown versus Pitt at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- The game tips at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN as part of Super Tuesday with Mike Couzens and Jordan Cornette on the call. On the radio, David Shumate and John Roth call the action on the Blue Devil Sports Network from Learfield IMG College (96.5FM & 610AM in Durham) and on Sirius 84 and XM 84.
- This will be the season’s only meeting between the Blue Devils and Panthers, as former Duke player and staffer Jeff Capel returns for the first time as Pitt’s head coach.
- The game matches up two of the ACC’s best defensive teams as Duke is fifth in the conference in overall scoring defense (63.9) and second in ACC play (64.3), while Pitt is ranked second (62.1) and sixth (65.7), respectively.
- Freshman Cassius Stanley is averaging 16.2 points and shooting .538 (35-of-65) over the last six games, including his first career double-double versus Louisville (24-11).
- Freshman Vernon Carey Jr. leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.590), is fourth in the league in scoring (17.0) and fifth in rebounds (8.3). The three-time ACC Freshman of the Week also leads in most free throw attempts (127).
- Sophomore Tre Jones leads the ACC in assists. He is one of only three players nationally to be averaging 6.0+ assists and 2.0+ steals with a 2.0+ assist/turnover ratio.
- The Blue Devils are second in the NCAA in scoring margin (+19.0) and their four 30-point wins in ACC play have tied a school record set three previous times.
- Duke enters the week ranked No. 9 in the AP Poll, extending the Blue Devils’ streaks to 38 consecutive polls in the top 10 and to 76 consecutive in the top 25 — both streaks are second-longest in the nation.
DUKE VS. PITT
Duke is 12-7 all-time versus Pitt, which includes a 6-1 mark since the Panthers entered the ACC in the 2013-14 season…Under Coach K, the Blue Devils are 6-2 in the series…This marks the series’ second meeting with former Blue Devil player and associate head coach Jeff Capel at the helm of the Panthers, and Capel’s first game at Duke as Pitt’s head coach…Last season at Pitt, RJ Barrett scored 26 as Duke pulled out a 79-64 win at the Petersen Events Center.
COACH K’S COACHING TREE
Jeff Capel is one of nine former Blue Devils to play under Mike Krzyzewski that is now a head coach at the Division-I or NBA level…Capel was named Pitt’s coach before last season, after seven years on Coach K’s staff, including his last four as associate head coach…Thirty-nine of Coach K’s former players, staff or managers are currently either coaching or working in front office roles across professional and college basketball.
ON THIS DATE
Duke is 14-5 all-time when playing on January 28, including 9-4 in ACC games…In home games, Duke is 11-0 on January 28.
SCOUTING THE PANTHERS
Pitt is 13-7 overall and 4-5 in ACC play, which includes a season sweep of North Carolina and a victory over Florida State in the season opener…Sophomore Trey McGowens (13.1 points) leads a team that has four players averaging in double figures. Sophomore Xavier Johnson averages 11.9 points and 5.3 assists…The Panthers have not allowed more than 80 points in a game this season, and have not yielded more than 73 since the calendar turned to 2020.
CAMERON INDOOR STADIUM
Duke has posted an all-time record of 901-163 (.847) at Cameron Indoor, including 543-68 (.889) under Coach K…Duke has won more games at its current home venue than any team in college basketball, leading Penn (Palestra), Vanderbilt (Memorial Gym), Kansas (Allen Fieldhouse) and UCLA (Pauley Pavilion)…Now in its 81st season as the home of the Blue Devils, Duke has averaged 11.1 wins since the venue opened January 6, 1940 — a 36-27 win over Princeton…The Blue Devils have 18 undefeated home seasons, including 11 under Coach K.
Duke has sold out 466 consecutive games at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The last time Duke did not have a sellout at home was on Nov. 16, 1990, against Boston College…The sellout figure is the longest current streak (by time) in either men’s college basketball or the NBA…Duke is 424-42 (.910) at home over that 466-game stretch.
SECOND IN SCORING MARGIN
Duke is second nationally in scoring margin at +19.0 and fourth nationally in scoring offense at 82.9…Seven of Duke’s 15 wins are by 30+ points, including four ACC wins by 30+, which ties a program record…The program record for most 30-point wins in ACC play was previously set in 1997-98, 1998-99 and 2000-01…The 39-point margin in the BC win (88-49) was Duke’s largest in an ACC game since beating Georgia Tech, 110-57, on Jan. 3, 2017.
DUKE IN THE POLLS
Duke enters the week ranked No. 9 in the AP Poll, extending the nation’s second-longest active streak of top-10 appearances to 37 weeks…The Blue Devils have also been ranked in the top 10 at least once in 24 consecutive seasons — the longest active streak nationally…Duke went wire-to-wire in the AP top 5 last season for the ninth time in school history — all coming under Coach K…With Duke ranked No. 1 earlier this season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski passed UCLA legend John Wooden for most wins as the coach of a No. 1-ranked team.
With the recent announcement of the 2020 McDonald’s All-American Game rosters, Duke has now signed 82 McDonald’s All-Americans all-time — the most of any NCAA program…The Blue Devils most recent selections are Jeremy Roach, D.J. Steward and Mark Williams, as Duke joined Kentucky and North Carolina as the only programs with multiple selections to this year’s team…Along with sophomore Tre Jones, Duke has four McDonald’s All-Americans on its roster in 2019-20…Mike Krzyzewski has now signed 80 McDonald’s All-Americans — the most all-time by a coach — and has added at least one to his roster in 36 consecutive years.
DUKE POSTSEASON RESUME
Duke enters the week ranked No. 6 in the NET, which is the primary selection tool used by the NCAA Men’s Basketball Selection Committee, for which Duke Director of Athletics Kevin White is the chairman…The Blue Devils’ overall strength of schedule is No. 14, while its non-conference strength of schedule is No. 8 — the third-highest of any team in the top 30 of the NET…Other metrics for Duke: No. 1 in the BPI (Basketball Power Index), No. 2 in KenPom, No. 4 in Sagarin, No. 14 in Strength of Record…Duke has only played two Quad 4 games (2-0), the fewest of any team in the top 80 of the NET.