Late last night Tony Jones of the Salt Lake Tribune tweeted that Frank Jackson would declare for the NBA Draft but not hire an agent:
— SL Tribune Sports (@sltribsports) April 23, 2017
This came as a surprise to most Duke fans since Gary Parrish had said a few days earlier that he would be back:
No announcement is imminent. But Frank Jackson is planning to return to Duke for his sophomore season, a source told @CBSSports.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) April 18, 2017
So what changed? Who really knows but this was obviously a fluid situation. Jackson’s father told the Salt Lake Tribune:
“Frank has always wanted to be in the NBA,” his father, Al, told The Tribune in a phone interview. “He went to Duke for a variety of reasons, and we absolutely made the right decision. If he had gone anywhere else, we wouldn’t have had to struggle with this decision. Frank would’ve been a one-and-done player with no doubt.”
The Tribune also reported that Jackson informed Coach K of his decision to declare for the NBA Draft after he had already telling the NBA he was doing so and that the conversation wit Coach K was positive:
“The door is definitely open for Frank to return,” Al Jackson said. “Frank still may very well go back.”
Duke has not released an official statement at this time on Jackson’s plans.