- Third-seeded Duke battles second-seeded North Carolina Friday night in the semifinals of the 66th New York ACC Tournament with a spot in Saturday’s title game on the line.
- The Blue Devils and Tar Heels are meeting for the 251st time in the series overall, for the 23rd time in the ACC Tournament and in the tournament for the third consecutive season.
- The Blue Devils’ 20 ACC Championships lead the conference, while their 101 ACC Tournament wins are tied for the most.
- Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is 63-23 all-time in the ACC Tournament with 14 titles. Duke has won 11 of the last 22 ACC titles and is 46-11 in the tournament in that span.
- Freshman Zion Williamson enters the North Carolina game having made 19 consecutive field goals — one shy of tying the ACC record (20) set by Duke’s Alaa Abdelnaby in 1989.
- Williamson was 13-of-13 from the field against Syracuse, setting both a Duke and ACC single-game record for accuracy, and tying the overall ACC game record.
- Williamson is the nation’s only player averaging 20.0+ points and shooting .650+ from the field.
- Freshman R.J. Barrett, who holds the ACC single-season freshman scoring record with 747 points, leads the ACC in scoring at 23.3 points. He is the only major conference player to score 13+ points in every game this season.
- Barrett (23.4) and Williamson (21.9) are aiming to become the first freshman teammates in NCAA history to each average 20.0+ points in a season.
DUKE QUARTERFINAL NOTES
- In the ACC Tournament, Duke is now 101-45 (.692) all-time, matching North Carolina (101-46, .687) for most wins in tournament history. Duke’s winning percentage is the best in tournament history.
- The meeting was the first for Duke and Syracuse in the ACC Tournament.
- Coach K is now 63-23 in the ACC Tournament.
- Duke is now 43-19 in the quarterfinals and now 17-6 when playing as the No. 3-seed.
- Duke is now 53-15 all-time when playing in the city of Charlotte.
- Over the last two seasons, Duke is now 10-1 in games that tip at 9 p.m. ET or later.
- Duke extended its streak of at least one made threepointer in a game to 1,053. It is the nation’s third-longest active streak.
- Freshman RJ Barrett scored 23 points and reamains the only major conference player to surpass 13 points in all 32 games this season.
- Freshman Tre Jones scored 13 points with eight assists (two turnovers) in 39 minutes. The 15 points were two shy of his career high and the most he’s scored since 15 versus Indiana (11/27/18).
- Freshman Cam Reddish extended his streak of at least one three-pointer to 18 consecutive games – the longest active streak in the ACC.
ZION’S HISTORIC NIGHT
- After missing the last five games with a knee injury, freshman Zion Williamson returned to the court in record fashion by making all 13 field goals and scoring 29 points, with 14 rebounds and five assists against Syracuse.
- Williamson set both a Duke record and ACC Tournament record, and tied an overall ACC mark, for field goal accuracy.
- He had his 11th double-double, seventh 20-10 game and 13th 25-point game (ties Barrett for Duke freshman record).
- Williamson became just the third Blue Devil in history to post a game with at least 25 points, 10 rebounds and five steals, joining Grant Hill and Christian Laettner.
MEET THE OPPONENT
F – 13 Cameron Johnson (6-9, 210, Sr.)
F – 32 Luke Maye (6-8, 240, Sr.)
C – 15 Garrison Brooks (6-9, 230, So.)
G – 24 Kenny Williams (6-4, 185, Sr.)
G – 02 Colby White (6-5, 185, Fr.)
F – 05 Nassir Little (6-6, 220, Fr.)
F – 00 Seventh Woods (6-2, 185, Jr.)
G – 04 Brandon Robinson (6-4, 170, Jr.)
F – 01 Leaky Black (6-7, 185, Fr.)*
C – 21 Sterling Manley (6-11, 235, So.)
Individual Statistical Leaders:
Points: 16.8 (Johnson)
Rebonds: 10.5 (Maye)
Assists: 4.1 (White)
FG Pct: .566 (Brooks)
3pt FG Pct: .469 (Johnson)
FT Pct: .857 (Black)
Team Statistical Profile:
Points Per Game: 86.6
Rebounds Per Game: 43.5
Rebounding Margin: + 9.4
Assists Per Game: 19.3
Turnovers Per Game: 13.3
FG Pct: .466
3pt Pct: .373
FT Pct: .741