Countdown to Craziness takes place this Friday, October 19 and the start time is scheduled for 7pm EST. For fans who were unable to watch the Canada Tour, this will be their first time getting to see the team in action.
ESPN+ will be carrying the event live. You can sign up for a 7 day free trial. You can watch ESPN+ events on the WatchESPN app.
What to Expect?
Countdown to Craziness is a great event for fans. They have various student groups perform.
What most Duke fans look forward to are the player intros. Every year it’s something different and this year should be no exception.
After the intros, the players will split off into the blue and white teams. Each team is coached by one of the assistant coaches. Last year Jeff Capel and Jon Scheyer coached the teams. With Capel gone, it will be interesting to see who takes his spot.
Some years they have just one 20 minute half and others they are split into two 10 minute halves.
After the scrimmage the team usually presents the “Iron Blue Devil Belt” to the men’s basketball player who excels in summer workouts along with preseason conditioning. Coach K also addresses the crowd for a few moments.
With the arrival of Zion Williamson, look for there to be a dunk contest to end the night.
Players to Watch
Once again, Duke had one of the top recruiting classes in the country:
- R.J. Barrett – played well in Canada…can he keep it up with Reddish and Jones back?
- Cam Reddish – will be the first time in action as he missed the Canada Tour due to injury.
- Zion Williamson – is sure to have several highlights, especially if there is a dunk contest.
- Tre Jones – could be the PG Duke has been looking for since his brother Tyus help lead the Blue Devils to the 2015 National Championship.
- Joey Baker – reclassified into 2018. Will he redshirt this season or will he be able to find some playing time?
The Blue Devils return nine players from the 2017-18 team that lost in the Elite 8 to Kansas:
- Javin DeLaurier – Duke is going to need someone to step up to play the 5 this year. Javin is currently dealing with a foot injury but coaches raved about him this summer.
- Marques Bolden – is this the year Bolden can stay healthy and put it all together? He’s shown flashes in the past of what he could become.
- Alex O’Connell – should be one of the first guys off the bench. Will provide valuable scoring off the bench.
- Jack White – like O’Connell he should be one of the first off the bench. Will provide toughness to a very young team.
- Jordan Goldwire – could see some spot minutes as a backup to Tre Jones at the PG position.
- Antonio Vrankovic – If Bolden or DeLaurier are hurt/in foul trouble, Vrank could provide a few minutes manning the middle.
- Justin Robinson – will help to provide leadership to this team and help them understand what is expected of them from Coach K.
Recruits in Attendance
Countdown to Craziness is one of the premiere destinations for the nation’s top recruits. Last year, future Blue Devils Zion Williamson and Joey Baker were in attendance.
This year 2019 5 Star Vernon Carey, 2020 5 Stars BJ Boston and Jalen Johnson will be taking the trip to Durham. Also recent 2019 commit Wendell Moore could be in the house.
Friday night will be an exciting time for Duke fans. As always it’s best to temper expectations with the team, but it’s great to finally see the team in Cameron.
If you are unable to watch this year’s Countdown to Craziness don’t worry. We’ll have a full write up, photos, and videos from the event.